[Anderson County Courthouse]

Description:

The Anderson County Courthouse is the largest historic institutional building in Palestine and arguably the most prominent architectural landmark. Sited atop a hill that overlooks the central business district to the southwest, the courthouse retains its historic integrity and character. The original architects, C.H. Page and Brother incorporated Classical Revival elements in the design, which bears a resemblance to the firm’s courthouse design for Williamson County, Texas. Legislators designated Palestine the county seat of Anderson County in 1846, the year of the county’s creation. This is the county’s fourth courthouse, and the third to be erected on this site. It was designed in 1913-1914 by the noted Austin architectural firm of Charles Page and Brother. B.P. Garvey of Gainesville, Texas, served as the contractor. The building’s formal dedication ceremony was held December 20, 1914. Billy Bean documented the courthouse in his 1980 survey. The building was extensively remodeled in 1986. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1992 - Building #92001256

Creator(s): Unknown
Creation Date: 1914/1986  
Partner(s):
Palestine Public Library
Collection(s):
Rescuing Texas History, 2006
Usage:
Total Uses: 39
Past 30 days: 1
Yesterday: 0
Creator:
Unknown
Date(s):
  • Creation: 1914/1986
  • Digitized: March 1, 2006
Coverage:
Coordinates
31.764795, -95.626549
Era
Into Modern Times, 1939-Present
From 1914 to 1986
Description:

The Anderson County Courthouse is the largest historic institutional building in Palestine and arguably the most prominent architectural landmark. Sited atop a hill that overlooks the central business district to the southwest, the courthouse retains its historic integrity and character. The original architects, C.H. Page and Brother incorporated Classical Revival elements in the design, which bears a resemblance to the firm’s courthouse design for Williamson County, Texas. Legislators designated Palestine the county seat of Anderson County in 1846, the year of the county’s creation. This is the county’s fourth courthouse, and the third to be erected on this site. It was designed in 1913-1914 by the noted Austin architectural firm of Charles Page and Brother. B.P. Garvey of Gainesville, Texas, served as the contractor. The building’s formal dedication ceremony was held December 20, 1914. Billy Bean documented the courthouse in his 1980 survey. The building was extensively remodeled in 1986. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1992 - Building #92001256

Physical Description:

1 photograph : b&w ; 8 x 10 in.

Language(s):
Subject(s):
Contributor(s):
Partner:
Palestine Public Library
Collection:
Rescuing Texas History, 2006
Identifier:
  • ARK: ark:/67531/metapth10053
Resource Type: Photograph
Format: Image
Rights:
Access: Public
Points
31.764795, -95.626549

Enable Zoom & Pan Controls