The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 18, July 1914 - April, 1915

Harris County, 1822-1845

HARRIS COUNTY, 1822-1845
ADELE B. LOOSCAN
II. HARRIS COUNTY IN THE REVOLUTION
The large share of the citizens of Harris County in winning the
independence of Texas from Mexico has never been announced
with a blare of trumpets; the facts have simply been recorded in
history.
That the citizens of Harris County were important factors in
the early revolutionary period, will be shown in the following pages.
In the summer of 1829 about thirty citizens met at Harris-
burg and organized for an expedition against a predatory band
of Indians. They marched to Groce's, a place of rendezvous, where,
uniting with others, about eighty in number, under Colonel John
Nail, they marched to within twelve miles of the Waco village,
encountered and defeated about two hundred Indians, and returned
home with the loss of only two men.
When the first trouble with Mexicans at Anahuac occurred in
1832, many of the citizens of Harrisburg marched under Colonel
Frank Johnson to the aid of the Texans at Anahuac.
From the beginning of American colonization, in this part of
Texas, there had been considerable trade between the settlement
on the Trinity, called by the Mexicans, Anahuac, and Harrisburg,
the chief trading point between the mouth of the Trinity, and
Bell's landing on the Brazos River; it was natural that any inter-
ference with this right should be strongly resented and resisted
by the citizens of both towns, and the occasion which arose early
in 1835, proved they were determined to stand together in defense
of that right.
In 1835 Anahuac was in the heyday of its prosperity. There
had been no attempt to collect custom dues since 1832, but a
change of policy on the part of the Mexican government caused
the re-establishment of a collector of customs, and in the latter
part of January, 1835, a body of Mexican soldiers under command
of Antonio Tenorio was sent to enforce the collection of duties
on goods received at the port, which was then known as the port
of Galveston.

261

Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 18, July 1914 - April, 1915. Austin, Texas. The Portal to Texas History. http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101064/. Accessed September 21, 2014.