The Texas Ranger Association held its third annual reunion at
Menard on September 6, 1923.
An East Texas historical pageant was presented in connection
with the East Texas Fair at Tyler, September 26 and 27, 1923.
The Williamson County Old Settlers' Association held its nine-
teenth annual reunion at Round Rock during the week beginning
July 16, 1923.
The fiftieth anniversary of the organization of their county was
celebrated on July 12 and 13, 1923, by the Rockwall County Pio-
"The Native Sons of Texas" is the name of an organiation char-
tered about the middle of July by some of the descendants of
Alphonso Steele, settled in Limestone County.
In the Dallas News of June 17, 1923, Mr. Daniel Morgan
Lower published a short account of the installation of the first
telephones in Dallas in 1881, and of the first electric light plant.
Miss Lillian Vineyard, of Austin, contributed to the San An-
tonio Express of July 22, 1923, a brief account of the founding
of the little town of Lamar in Aransas County, and of its founder,
James William Byrne.
The Harris County Historical Society was organized at the
University Club of Houston on October 2, 1923, the anniversary
of the battle of Gonzales. The officers elected are: Colonel A. J.
Houston, president; Mr. C. R. Wharton, Mr. Sam H. Dixon, Mrs.
Ike McFarland, and Mrs. Florence Hoover, vice-presidents; Mr.
A. G. Mallison, secretary-treasurer, and Miss Julia Ideson, li-
Deaths of prominent Texans: Alexander D. Mebans, of Lock-
hart, cotton planter, April 30, 1923; W. A. Johnson, of Memphis,
former lieutenant-governor, May 5, 1923; William R. Smith, of
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 27, July 1923 - April, 1924. Austin, Texas. The Portal to Texas History. http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101086/. Accessed July 29, 2015.