Colonel J. K. P. Mansfield's Inspection Report of Texas 215
COLONEL J. K. F. MANSFIELD'S REPORT OF THE
INSPECTION OF THE DEPARTMENT
OF TEXAS IN 1856
(Continued from the October, 1938, Number.)
Fort Brown 2d, 3d, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th & 8th May.
At this post were 3 companies of the 4th Artillery, towit, K
and M, and Light Company B, under Major Giles Porter who
has been in command since 23rd August 1853. This command
was in a good state of discipline, and all its departments properly
conducted. Connected with this post, is the quartermaster's land-
ing and buildings at Brazos Santiago. The strength of this com-
mand is as follows,-Field & Staff, Major G. Porter, Asst Sur-
geon Thos. A. McParlin, Paymaster J. R. Hagner, an Ordnance
Sergeant, and the Rev. Wm. Passmore, chaplin.
Light Company B. Capt. J. W. Phelps; 1st Lt. R. W. Howard;
2d Lt. O. F. Solomou, Act Commissary of Subsistence, &
Asst Quartermaster: 1 Lieut I. C. Booth absent without leave,
and not yet returned from a leave of absence to the 1 May.-3
Sergeants, 3 Corporals, 3 buglers, 34 privates for duty-8 on
extra duty-10 sick-3 confined. Total 63 enlisted men and 3
officers and 34 serviceable horses.,
Company K. Capt (vacant): 1st Lieut. J. P. Garech6 Bt
Capt & Ast Adjt Genl since 28th Nov. 1855.-1st Lieut. T. S.
Garland absent sick since transferred to the Company: 2d Lieut.
S. H. Weed in command-1 Sergeant, 2 Corporals, 2 Musicians
16 privates for duty-6 on extra duty-5 sick. Total 1 officer
and 32 men.
Company M. Capt (vacant); 1st Lieut W. G. Gill in command;
2d Lt. H. Pelouze; 1st Lt. C. L. Best absent since 8th May 1855
sick-3 Sergeants, 1 Corporal, 2 Musicians, 5 privates for duty-
4 in extra duty-2 confined-4 sick. Total 2 Officers & 21 men.
Aggregate force at command 7 officers & 87 men of the line.
The Light Company was in the mixed uniform of old frocks
and jackets, but in good discipline, & handsomely drilled by
Capt Phelps who is a meritorious & ambitious officer; but he
laboured under the disadvantage of poor and rotten harness &
a miserable old brick stable two stories high formerly a gun shed
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 42, July 1938 - April, 1939. Austin, Texas. The Portal to Texas History. http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101107/. Accessed March 4, 2015.