The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 50, July 1946 - April, 1947

THE SOUTHWESTERN HISTORICAL QUARTERLY
VOL. L APRIL, 1947 No. 4
rhe Z7<exas tfmalac, 185 7-1873
STUART McGREGOR
T HE FIRST edition of the Texas Almanac was issued by the
Galveston News in January, 1857. Excepting 1866, there
were editions for each year through 1873, a total of sixteen an-
nual editions. The editions for the years 1862-1865, inclusive,
however, were of pamphlet size 'ranging from forty-eight to
sixty-four pages. The issues of 1857 to 1861 were published in
Galveston, the first two by Richardson and Company, and the
later three by W. and D. Richardson, publishers of the Galveston
News. The issues of 1862-1865, inclusive, were published by
D. Richardson, the first in Houston, according to the preface,
though the work had seemingly been done in Galveston before
evacuation of that city by the Confederate forces. The last three
Civil War period issues were published in Austin. Post-Civil
War publication was resumed in Galveston in 1867 by Richard-
son and Company of the Galveston News. The final issue of
1873, however, bore the imprint of Richardson, Belo and Com-
pany, the only early issue to carry the name of Colonel A. H.
Belo.
In addition to the publication of these annuals, there was
issued at Austin a tri-weekly Texas Almanac Extra from Octo-
ber 14, 1862, to June 6, 1863. While this bore the name Texas
Almanac and was issued by one of the two men who had pub-
lished the regular edition, it was, in fact, a newspaper, totaling
105 numbers, including two broadsides issued on September 17
and 18, prior to the beginning of regular issue on October 14.
In addition there were eighteen supplements, most of which
were issued during the session of the legislature early in 1863.
After 1873 there was no issue of the Texas Almanac until
1904, when it was brought out by the Dallas News at Dallas.
Following another interval when the publication did not appear,
the Almanac was picked up again in 1910, 1911, and 1914.
Probably the Texas Almanac would have been re-established at

Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 50, July 1946 - April, 1947. Austin, Texas. The Portal to Texas History. http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101117/. Accessed July 14, 2014.