The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 51, July 1947 - April, 1948

aotes alld DocumIeits
W. . reemau's Report oi tlhe eighth Alitary
Department
Edited By M. L. CRIMMINS
(Continued)
II-SAN ANTONIO DEPOT- (Inspected, May 31, to June 3, 1853.)
The operations of this Depot are more extensive than those of any
other in the 8th Department; most of the frontier Posts draw their
supplies from this point, and here the heaviest disbursements are
made. The city of San Antonio lies within three miles of the head
spring of the river of the same name, which flows through its midst.
It contains a population of 7,ooo and is rapidly increasing in all the
elements of prosperity. From its resources and position in regard to
the Rio Grande and Indian frontiers, it possesses advantages which
seem to point it out as the proper place for Department Head Quar-
ters and the offices of the Chiefs of the several branches of the Staff
attached thereto. Indeed, until recently the Head Quarters were
established here, and it is understood they were only removed to
Corpus Christi in consequence of the health of the present Depart-
ment Commander requiring him to reside nearer the sea. It is hoped
the cause of removal may soon be obviated and the Head Quarters
restored to their original position. Correspondence between Corpus
Christi and the posts, is inconvenient. Its salubriousness appears to
be its sole recommendation.
QUARTERMASTER'S DEPARTMENT.
This branch of the San Antonio Depot, now and for some time
past under the charge of Bvt. Maj. James Belger,7 Asst. Quarter-
master, occupies the extensive pile known as the "Alamo buildings,"
and an adjoining lot of ground. The title to the former is in dispute,
but the property was leased from Bishop Odin8 of the Roman Cath-
7James Belger was breveted major on May 30o, 1848, for meritorious conduct in
war with Mexico. He was dismissed November 3o, 1863, but returned to the army
to become a major in the quartermaster department on March 3, 1871. Heitman,
Historical Register of the United States Army, I, 207.
SJohn Mary Odin was born at Ambierle, France, on February 25, 18o0. In 1822
he volunteered for the Louisiana mission. He attended the Lazarist Seminary in
Missouri, where he completed his theological studies and was ordained to the
priesthood on May 4, 1823. In 1840 he was sent to Texas as Vice-Prefect Apostolic.
In San Antonio, Odin became interested in the possibility of the Catholic Church's

Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 51, July 1947 - April, 1948. Austin, Texas. The Portal to Texas History. http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101119/. Accessed July 26, 2014.