The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 54, July 1950 - April, 1951

rexas Collection
H. BAILEY CARROLL
nessman of Wichita Falls and a life member of the Texas
State Historical Association, was donated to the University
of Texas by his widow, Mrs. Lula Kell. With genuine thought-
fulness for the books and for the University, Mrs. Kell also con-
tributed an initial $5,000 for repair of and additions to the books
already in hand. By 1948 additions to the fund on the part of
Mrs. Kell and her son-in-law, Orville Bullington, a patron of
the Association, brought the total of the endowment to $9,500.
During the time of the ceremonies opening the Eugene C. Barker
Texas History Center, Mr. Bullington held conferences with the
president of the University, the librarian, and the director of
the Association with a view toward increasing the endowment
for the Frank Kell Collection. Shortly after his return to Wichita
Falls, Mr. Bullington sent a check of Mrs. Lula Kell payable to
'the University in the amount of $15,500 which brings the total
endowment funds for the Kell Collection to $25,000. Mr. Bull-
ington's letter of transmissal states:
This sum is to be added to the sum which Mrs. Kell has already
given to the University of Texas for the maintenance of and to pur-
chase new books and documents relating to the history of Texas and
the Southwest, and used in the Eugene C. Barker Texas History
Center.
Thus is beginning to be realized an endowment fund, which
may be used for the purchase of Texas and Southwestern mate-
rials, similar to the Littlefield funds for the purchase of Southern
history items. And incidentally here is the beginning of the ful-
fillment of one of the desiderata listed by Dr. Barker in his
address of April 27, published in the last Quarterly.
Here is an opportunity for lasting memorials and lasting serv-
ice which should not be overlooked by Texas families, corpora-
tions, and endowments. The Kell, Bullington, and Littlefield
contributions have blazed a significant trail.

Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 54, July 1950 - April, 1951. Austin, Texas. The Portal to Texas History. http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101133/. Accessed April 18, 2015.