The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 56, July 1952 - April, 1953

Southwestern Historical Quarterly

also interest that large audience which is pleased by well-told
medical and scientific story.
MANDRED W. COMFORT
Carlos M. Pinto, S. J., Apostle of El Paso. By Sister M. Lilliana
Owens. El Paso (Revista Catolica Press), 1951. Pp. xiii+228.
It is no easy task to write a biography of Fr. Carlos Pinto, S. J.
He was not deliberately uncooperative as was, for example, Judah
P. Benjamin, but even a sketchy outline of his career would
indicate a manner of living incompatible with the task of pro-
viding a future biographer with the necessary materials. Never-
theless, Sister M. Lilliana Owens, S. L., after evidently diligent
research, has succeeded in making him an understandable and a
memorable figure.
Born in Salerno on July 21, 1841, he entered the Jesuit novi-
tiate at the age of fourteen, and a few years later, in 1872, after
having completed his last year of training in the Jesuit Tertian
House at Fredericksburg, Maryland, he became the first resident
priest at Pueblo, Colorado. Three years later he was sent to
Trinidad, Colorado.
From the beginning he proved himself a zealous missionary
and a man of courage and vision. Where a lesser man might have
contemplated timorously the construction of a modest church,
Fr. Pinto thought in terms of churches, schools, and hospitals
and successfully executed plans which to another man might have
seemed visionary.
Significantly, the biography of Fr. Pinto, after his transfer to
El Paso in 1892, becomes more a history of the growth of Cathol-
icism in and around El Paso, for the two stories are inseparable,
and both stories form a chapter in the long history of the Society
of Jesus. How much of the history of Catholicism in the El Paso
area depends on the Jesuits may be discerned from the number
of churches here mentioned as having been entrusted to their
charge, from the fact that his superiors consistently entrusted to
Fr. Pinto the duties of vicar-general, and from the fact that when
El Paso became a separate diocese, a member of this order, Very
Reverend Anthony Schuler, S. J., was appointed bishop. The
Jesuits were ably assisted in their missionary labors by the Sisters

154

Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 56, July 1952 - April, 1953. Austin, Texas. The Portal to Texas History. http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101145/. Accessed September 19, 2014.