H. BAILEY CARROLL
HE Baylor Historical Society held its annual meeting at
Baylor University, Waco, on May 29, 1953. H. Bailey
Carroll, Association director, spoke at the afternoon ses-
sion on the values, functions, and programs of local historical
societies. Officers elected for 1953-1954 are Professor Robert Reid,
president; Mrs. J. Bruce Duncan, vice-president; and Miss Doris
Goodrich Jones, secretary-treasurer.
Professor Charles K. Chamberlain of the Stephen F. Austin
State College at Nacogdoches represented the Association at the
dedication service for the Ezekiel W. Cullen home at San Au-
gustine on June 16, 1953. The Honorable Hugh Roy Cullen of
Houston, grandson of Ezekiel and Eliza A. Cullen, presented the
restored home to the Ezekiel Cullen Chapter of the Daughters
of the Republic of Texas. The restoration will show and preserve
graphically the flavor of the Republic of Texas in its early days.
All persons in the San Augustine area have been asked to con-
tribute authentic furniture and fixtures for the home.
The Corpus Christi Caller-Times on July 12, 1953, published
an edition of 212 pages commemorating the hundredth anniver-
sary of the King Ranch.
A hundredth anniversary edition of the Henderson Times was
issued on July 23, 1953.
Guy C. Jackson, Jr., prominent attorney of Anahuac, has been
instrumental in presenting and advocating the introduction of
the Junior Historian program in his area. He has also furnished
the office for the archives a 34-page typescript detailing the
"Tidelands Battle." The manuscript is the stuff of history and
will be valuable to research students.
Among those receiving graduate degrees at the June and
August, 1953, commencements at the University of Texas were the
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 57, July 1953 - April, 1954. Austin, Texas. The Portal to Texas History. http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101152/. Accessed March 15, 2014.