H. BAILEY CARROLL
HE Texas Historical Survey Committee created at the last
session of the Legislature, held its first meeting in the
chamber of the House of Representatives on November
17, 1953. The committee is charged with singling out historical
spots and documents not yet found or marked.
Governor Allan Shivers, who appointed the committee, spoke
at the opening meeting and called attention to the fact that
much Texas history has never been catalogued or made available
Association member James E. Wheat of Woodville is chairman
of the new group and the following committees have been set up:
Organization-John P. Morgan of Dallas, L. W. Kemp of
Houston, and Mrs. Max Weinert of Seguin.
Program-Mrs. Weinert, Wheat, Morgan, Kemp, and Mrs.
Lois Wakefield and Mrs. Mike Butler of Austin.
Archives-Mrs. Wakefield, Carl Coke Rister of Lubbock, and
Bishop L. J. FitzSimon of Amarillo.
Finance-Charles R. Tips of Dallas, Robert C. Wells of Kings-
ville, and Sidney Samuels of Fort Worth.
Houses, Sites, and Landmarks-Mrs. Butler, Miss Ima Hogg of
Houston, and Mrs. Lane Taylor of San Antonio.
Museums-Mrs. Weinert and Kemp.
Parks-Stuart McGregor of Dallas and Millard Cope of
Schools-Rupert N. Richardson of Abilene, Mrs. E. A. Peden
of Houston, and J. Evetts Haley of Canyon.
A. Garland Adair of Austin, an officer of the Texas Heritage
Foundation, reported that the committee had already collected
many historic Texas documents, and suggested that the state needs
a "hall of remembrance" in which to exhibit historic material
and a state information office to answer inquiries.
Because individuals are frequently willing to donate historic
items to museums and libraries, such places are doing a fairly
good job collecting and preserving documents and relics, L.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 57, July 1953 - April, 1954. Austin, Texas. The Portal to Texas History. http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101152/. Accessed April 16, 2014.