Four members of the history faculty at the Agricultural and
Mechanical College of Texas have received grants for special
Claude H. Hall and Thomas L. Miller received research grants
from funds made available by the Texas A. & M. Engineering
Experiment Station for research in the humanities and social
sciences. They are making a study of Texans in Congress from
1845 to 1960.
Allan C. Ashcraft and Neil R. Stout received summer research
grants from the Organized Research Fund of the college. Ashcraft
is assisting in the preparation of a book-length study of the role
of the Confederate Department of the Trans-Mississippi West in
the Civil War. Stout went to Boston and Cambridge to do re-
search on party politics in Massachusetts, 1770-18o00: a study in
issues and personalities during the era of the American Revolu-
tion and new nation.
Joseph M. Nance, head of the Department of History and
Government at the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas,
was the principal speaker at the June 24 dedication of the restored
one-room log courthouse at Boonville, the first county seat of
Brazos (formerly Navasota) County. Many of the hand-hewn log
timbers of the original building constructed in 1841 still exist
and constitute a part of the restored structure.
Nance wrote the Early History of Bryan and the Surrounding
Area which was published in June by the Hood's Brigade-Bryan
H. H. Lang of the history faculty at the Agricultural and Me-
chanical College of Texas gave a paper on "Uranium Mining and
the AEC: The Birth Pangs of a New Industry" at the October,
1961, Conference on History of Western America at Santa Fe,
New Mexico. Lang also appeared on the program of the Louisiana
Historical Association in April, 1962.
Odie B. Faulk, Joseph T. Macpherson, A. Ray Stephens, and
Athan Theoharis have been appointed instructors of history at
the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas. Faulk holds
a Ph.D. from Texas Technological College, and Stephens has a
Ph.D. from the University of Texas. Macpherson holds an M.A.
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 66, July 1962 - April, 1963. Austin, Texas. The Portal to Texas History. http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101196/. Accessed May 28, 2015.