The Waco Tribune-Herald for Sunday, July 29, 1962, contains
a full page article, "Old Corn Road Reaches Back Into History,"
by John Banta. A military road from the San Antonio-Waco road
to Fort Gates provides the subject for the story. Its name, "Corn
Road," stemmed from wild corn growing along the route as a
result of grain spilled by supply wagons headed for the fort.
The April, 1962, Bulletin of Local History and Genealogy
published by the West Texas Genealogical Society contains articles
on "Early Cattle Brands of Callahan County, Texas," by Mrs.
C. B. Snyder, "History of Callahan County, Texas," by B. C.
Chrisman, and "Excerpts from History of First Presbyterian
Church of Abilene, Texas," by Margaret Clark Hampton. Also
included were an "Index of Deeds, Callahan County, Texas," by
Donna McGowan Leon, "Historical Sketch of the First Christian
Church-Abilene," compiled originally by C. W. Bacon and con-
tributed by Margaret Clark Hampton, and the "Shackelford
County, Texas-187o Census," copied by Beatrice Dikes Smith.
The following persons and institutions have become members
of the Association since the publication of the last Quarterly:
Mr. John W. Shaddix
Le Tourneau College
Mrs. George Mimms
P. O. Box 277
Dr. A. J. Middlebrooks
911 Evangeline Place
Mrs. Clyde Roberts
University of California
Mrs. M. D. Trapp
Cold Spring, Texas
Mrs. M. E. Navarro
P. O. Box 1612
Mrs. Lars N. Engel
Austin S, Texas
University of Maryland
College Park, Maryland
Mr. Robert D. Bullock
4902 Westfield Drive
Austin g, Texas
Dr. Russell Scott, Jr.
No. 5 Waverly Court
Si South Main
Director of the Library
Clemson College Library
Clemson, South Carolina
Mr. and Mrs. Dean Coleman
724 West Mulberry
Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 66, July 1962 - April, 1963. Austin, Texas. The Portal to Texas History. http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101196/. Accessed April 29, 2016.