The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 70, July 1966 - April, 1967

Red River Comut, Zexas,
i# the 1920 's
A Cadlocked rowtier
NEAL A. BAKER, Jr.
HE COUNTY OF RED RIVER IS LOCATED IN THE NORTHEASTERN
corner of Texas. Economically, it is a part of a much
larger area including the Ouachita-Ozark country of East-
ern Oklahoma and Western Arkansas, and the Piney Woods
area of East Texas and West-Central Louisiana. In per capita
income, living conditions, and ethnic backgrounds, the area is
similar to sections of the Southern Appalachian and Piedmont
sections of the Southeastern United States.' Red River County
is bounded on the north by the Red River, on the east by Bowie
County, on the south by Sulphur River, and on the west by Lamar
County. A broad central ridge of prairie land traverses it east and
west, and this ridge is bordered on both sides by belts of relatively
flat land, bordered in turn by the bottom lands of the Red and
Sulphur rivers." A portion of the central ridge is "black prairie,"
a black or dark gray soil originally prized for its fertility. It is
approximately fifteen miles wide at the western border of the
county and tapers to a point near the northeastern corner. The
flat land belts are secondary marginal timbered plains which
were originally covered with pine and oak. Some second bottom
lands, formed by streams that no longer exist, occur in these belts.
The Red and the Sulphur river bottoms are composed of recent
alluvial soils which are, or were, covered with forests of oak, ash,
hickory, and native pecan. Bois d'arc occurs throughout the
county. Many smaller streams, flowing into the two rivers, have
'Carter Goodrich, Bushrod W. Allin, and Marion Hayes, Migration and Planes
of Living: 920o-1934 (Philadelphia, 1935), 1o.
'Bureau of Business Research, University of Texas, An Economic Survey of Red
River County (Austin, 1949), 1.o3.

Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 70, July 1966 - April, 1967. Austin, Texas. The Portal to Texas History. http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth101199/. Accessed September 22, 2014.