The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 69, July 1965 - April, 1966

Southwestern Historical Quarterly

an official printer, but their real concern was with "the constant
increasing debt of the state," minute men, land certificates issued
to railroads, and Texas-Confederate relations.
The new governor became cognizant of these problems and
many of them were reflected in Murrah's speech to the joint
session on November 24. Although opening on the optimistic
note that the harvest had been "rich and abundant" and that
"Victory crowns our Arms upon almost every field," he recognized
that the Trans-Mississippi Department was separated from the
remainder of the Confederacy, placing Texas "in an imposing and
commanding position." This situation, he declared, should serve
as an impetus for increased arms and munitions which he would,
if necessary, obtain from abroad with state credit. He also dis-
cussed the need for a sound currency, increased manufacturing,
better common schools, and personal sacrifice.
The journal for the remainder of the session contains miscel-
laneous bills and committee reports, none in particular detail.
Appendix I, "Members and Officers of the Senate "; II, "Re-
port of A. Bishop" on salines in West 'Texas; III, "Report of the
Military Board"; IV, "Proceedings of Governors' Conference
West of the Mississippi River"; and V, "Executive Messages to
the Senate" are as valuable as much of the journal material.
A record of "yea" and "nay" votes in the journal and an exten-
sive index will be useful to those in search of information on the
thirty-three senators in the Tenth Legislature and their executive
officer, Lieutenant-Governor Fletcher S. Stockdale, whose in-
augural address contained eighty-six words. As Dorsey B. Harde-
man states in the Introduction, they "were optimistic-reality
demanded it." DONALD E. EVERETT
Trinity University
The Big Guns of Fayette. By Paul C. Boethel. Austin (Von Boeck-
mann-Jones), 1965- Pp. 98. Illustrations, maps, notes, index.
This volume is a history of Edmund Creuzbaur's and Charles
Welhausen's battery of field artillery from Fayette County, which
served in the Confederate Trans-Mississippi Department. The
cannoneers, mostly German and Czech immigrants to Texas, en-
listed in the summer of 1861, but the unit accepted additional
members throughout its service. In October, 1861, the command

x34

Texas State Historical Association. The Southwestern Historical Quarterly, Volume 69, July 1965 - April, 1966. Austin, Texas. The Portal to Texas History. http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth117144/. Accessed December 28, 2014.