[Jewish Pre-School Students]

Description:

Photograph of the first class of preschool students to enroll at the Lil Goldman Early Learning Center when it opened in the fall of 1952. The preschool was initially housed in a single classroom at Ahavath Sholom. Students are seated in several rows on a flight of stairs. The preschool's founding principal, Lil Goldman, is sitting on the bottom left side of the photograph, facing the students.
Pictured: The students, in alphabetical order, are Arnold Applebaum, Laurie Barnett, Robert Beckoff, Nan Cohen, Lynn Cohen, Linda Davis, Ted Fahn, Elliot Garsek, Valerie Hall, Harriet Hamill, Charles Klimist, Arnold Kragen, Craig Lidell, Diane Meyerwitz, Donna Powell, Jay Rosen, Aaron Rosenbaum, Irwin Rubinson, Marty Rubinson, Rick Salam, Jerry Sankary, Noni Sonkin, Kay Lynne Tuck, Marc Wolens, Bonnie Victor, Marcia Rosenthal.

Creator(s): Unknown
Location(s): United States - Texas - Tarrant County - Fort Worth
Creation Date: 1952~  
Partner(s):
Fort Worth Jewish Archives
Collection(s):
Rescuing Texas History, 2010
Usage:
Total Uses: 109
Past 30 days: 4
Yesterday: 1
Creator:
Unknown
Date(s):
  • Creation: 1952~
Coverage:
Place
United States - Texas - Tarrant County - Fort Worth
Date
1952/1953  
Description:

Photograph of the first class of preschool students to enroll at the Lil Goldman Early Learning Center when it opened in the fall of 1952. The preschool was initially housed in a single classroom at Ahavath Sholom. Students are seated in several rows on a flight of stairs. The preschool's founding principal, Lil Goldman, is sitting on the bottom left side of the photograph, facing the students.
Pictured: The students, in alphabetical order, are Arnold Applebaum, Laurie Barnett, Robert Beckoff, Nan Cohen, Lynn Cohen, Linda Davis, Ted Fahn, Elliot Garsek, Valerie Hall, Harriet Hamill, Charles Klimist, Arnold Kragen, Craig Lidell, Diane Meyerwitz, Donna Powell, Jay Rosen, Aaron Rosenbaum, Irwin Rubinson, Marty Rubinson, Rick Salam, Jerry Sankary, Noni Sonkin, Kay Lynne Tuck, Marc Wolens, Bonnie Victor, Marcia Rosenthal.

Note:

Additional background about this photograph: The Fort Worth Hebrew School Board established a preschool in November 1952 based on feedback from a community survey. Educator Lilaine “Lil” Goldman, who had studied child development, was the founding principal and lone teacher. The school utilized classroom space at Ahavath Sholom, 1600 W. Myrtle Street. Initially, six students attended classes five mornings a week. Monthly tuition was $12. By 1954 the preschool had expanded to three classrooms. In 1962, the school came under the direction of the newly formed Dan Danciger Jewish Community Center board. When the DDJCC opened a campus in Southwest Fort Worth in 1964, the preschool moved there. In 1999, the DDJCC closed. The preschool moved to Congregation Ahavath Sholom's building on Hulen Street and came under the auspices of the Jewish Education Agency of the Jewish Federation of Fort Worth & Tarrant County. The preschool, the oldest in Fort Worth, was renamed the Lil Goldman Early Learning Center.

Physical Description:

1 photograph : b&w ; 26 x 21 cm.

Language(s):
Subject(s):
Keyword(s): Jewish communities | pre-schools | students | Dan Danciger Jewish Community Center | Lil Goldman Early Learning Center | Jewish Education Agency | Jewish Federation of Fort Worth & Tarrant County | Ahavath Sholom
Partner:
Fort Worth Jewish Archives
Collection:
Rescuing Texas History, 2010
Identifier:
  • LOCAL-CONT-NO: FWJA-EDU-LG-000-1952
  • ARK: ark:/67531/metapth117189
Resource Type: Photograph
Format: Image