[Indian Village Sign]

Description:

Photograph of a sign describing the history of and pointing toward the "Indian Village". The large sign reads, "INDIAN VILLAGE --> The Alabama and Coushatta Indians settled near here in 1832 through the efforts of Gen. Sam Houston, Texas gave them 1210 acres in 1854. The federal government purchased 3071 acres in 1928. Only Indian Reservation in Texas" Behind the sign a road and some trees are visible. There is writing on the backof the photograph that reads, "Livingston, Texas".

Creator(s): Unknown
Location(s): United States - Texas - Polk County - Livingston
Creation Date: Unknown
Partner(s):
Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary
Collection(s):
Texas Cultures Online
Usage:
Total Uses: 33
Past 30 days: 1
Yesterday: 0
Creator:
Unknown
Date(s):
Coverage:
Place
United States - Texas - Polk County - Livingston
Era
Into Modern Times, 1939-Present
Description:

Photograph of a sign describing the history of and pointing toward the "Indian Village". The large sign reads, "INDIAN VILLAGE --> The Alabama and Coushatta Indians settled near here in 1832 through the efforts of Gen. Sam Houston, Texas gave them 1210 acres in 1854. The federal government purchased 3071 acres in 1928. Only Indian Reservation in Texas" Behind the sign a road and some trees are visible. There is writing on the backof the photograph that reads, "Livingston, Texas".

Physical Description:

1 photograph : b&w ; 8 x 11 cm.

Language(s):
Subject(s):
Keyword(s): villages | signs | Texas-Mexican Presbytery
Partner:
Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary
Collection:
Texas Cultures Online
Identifier:
  • LOCAL-CONT-NO: ATPS_1994_090_0635
  • ARK: ark:/67531/metapth165976
Resource Type: Photograph
Format: Image