[Central School, Marshall]

Description:

Central School was the first public school in Harrison County for African-American children. It was located on a hill bounded by Railroad Ave. (now Alamo), Border St. (now Travis), and Fannin St. Founded by H. B. Pemberton, who was also its first principal, the school was later named for him. In early years the campus housed all grades; but when elementary schools were built, Central/Pemberton became a high school. When the school moved across town to a new site, the old buildings were razed and the hill levelled. A historical marker now commemorates the school.

Creator(s): Unknown
Location(s): United States - Texas - Harrison County - Marshall
Creation Date: Unknown
Partner(s):
Marshall Public Library
Collection(s):
Texas History Collection
Usage:
Total Uses: 15
Past 30 days: 0
Yesterday: 0
Creator:
Unknown
Date(s):
  • Digitized: August 28, 2006
Coverage:
Place
United States - Texas - Harrison County - Marshall
Era
The Cattle Boom, 1865-1890
New South, Populism, Progressivism, and the Great Depression, 1877-1939
Description:

Central School was the first public school in Harrison County for African-American children. It was located on a hill bounded by Railroad Ave. (now Alamo), Border St. (now Travis), and Fannin St. Founded by H. B. Pemberton, who was also its first principal, the school was later named for him. In early years the campus housed all grades; but when elementary schools were built, Central/Pemberton became a high school. When the school moved across town to a new site, the old buildings were razed and the hill levelled. A historical marker now commemorates the school.

Language(s):
Subject(s):
Partner:
Marshall Public Library
Collection:
Texas History Collection
Identifier:
  • LOCAL-CONT-NO: mpl-slides-0424
  • ARK: ark:/67531/metapth17754
Resource Type: Photograph
Format: Image
Rights:
Access: Public