[Central School, Marshall]

Description:

Central School was the first public school for African-American children in Harrison County. The building and its outbuildings were located on a hill bounded by Railroad Ave. (now Alamo), Border St. (now Travis), and Fannin. The buildings were torn down and the hill leveled after the school moved to another location. A historical marker notes the location. Central was renamed Pemberton after H. B. Pemberton, who was its founder and first principal. In the early years the elementary grades were included. After schools for those grades were built elsewhere, Central/Pemberton became a high school only.

Creator(s): Unknown
Location(s): United States - Texas - Harrison County - Marshall
Creation Date: Unknown
Partner(s):
Marshall Public Library
Collection(s):
Texas History Collection
Usage:
Total Uses: 114
Past 30 days: 0
Yesterday: 0
Creator:
Unknown
Date(s):
  • Digitized: August 28, 2006
Coverage:
Place
United States - Texas - Harrison County - Marshall
Era
New South, Populism, Progressivism, and the Great Depression, 1877-1939
Description:

Central School was the first public school for African-American children in Harrison County. The building and its outbuildings were located on a hill bounded by Railroad Ave. (now Alamo), Border St. (now Travis), and Fannin. The buildings were torn down and the hill leveled after the school moved to another location. A historical marker notes the location. Central was renamed Pemberton after H. B. Pemberton, who was its founder and first principal. In the early years the elementary grades were included. After schools for those grades were built elsewhere, Central/Pemberton became a high school only.

Language(s):
Subject(s):
Partner:
Marshall Public Library
Collection:
Texas History Collection
Identifier:
  • LOCAL-CONT-NO: mpl-slides-0405
  • ARK: ark:/67531/metapth17773
Resource Type: Photograph
Format: Image
Rights:
Access: Public
Beta Preview