[Central High School, Marshall]

Description:

Central High School was located on a hill at the conjunction of Railroad Ave. (now Alamo), Border St. (now Travis), and Fannin St in Marshall. It was built by Prof. H. B. Pemberton, using his own funds which were repaid by donations. It was the first public school for African-Americans in the city. In the beginning all grade levels were there. When elementary schools were built, those grades moved and Central became a high school. Later the high school moved to a new campus on Wiley Ave. (Rosborough Springs Rd.) The old building was torn down and the hill leveled. Today a historic marker stands on the site.

Creator(s): Unknown
Location(s): United States - Texas - Harrison County - Marshall
Creation Date: Unknown
Partner(s):
Marshall Public Library
Collection(s):
Texas History Collection
Usage:
Total Uses: 13
Past 30 days: 4
Yesterday: 0
Creator:
Unknown
Date(s):
  • Digitized: August 26, 2006
Coverage:
Place
United States - Texas - Harrison County - Marshall
Era
New South, Populism, Progressivism, and the Great Depression, 1877-1939
Description:

Central High School was located on a hill at the conjunction of Railroad Ave. (now Alamo), Border St. (now Travis), and Fannin St in Marshall. It was built by Prof. H. B. Pemberton, using his own funds which were repaid by donations. It was the first public school for African-Americans in the city. In the beginning all grade levels were there. When elementary schools were built, those grades moved and Central became a high school. Later the high school moved to a new campus on Wiley Ave. (Rosborough Springs Rd.) The old building was torn down and the hill leveled. Today a historic marker stands on the site.

Language(s):
Subject(s):
Partner:
Marshall Public Library
Collection:
Texas History Collection
Identifier:
  • LOCAL-CONT-NO: mpl-slides-0350
  • ARK: ark:/67531/metapth17828
Resource Type: Photograph
Format: Image
Rights:
Access: Public