[Pemberton High School Students, Marshall]

Description:

A group of students is gathered in front of Pemberton High School in Marshall. The photograph appears to be from the 1960s. This facade shows the new wing which was added to the front of the old building, creating a courtyard between. Steps shown in front lead directly to Rosborough Springs St. Pemberton became a ninth- grade school in 1970 and was finally merged with Marshall High School in 1988. The building was sold to Wiley College, which is located across the street. Pemberton was named for H. B. Pemberton, the noted African-American educator (1867-1944) who was founder of Central School on Border St., the first public school in Marshall for African-American students. In 1925 Central was moved to the Rosborough Springs site, designated a high school, and renamed in 1941 to honor Pemberton, its first principal.

Creator(s): Unknown
Location(s): United States - Texas - Harrison County - Marshall
Creation Date: Unknown
Partner(s):
Marshall Public Library
Collection(s):
Texas History Collection
Usage:
Total Uses: 1,155
Past 30 days: 24
Yesterday: 2
Creator:
Unknown
Date(s):
  • Digitized: August 14, 2006
Coverage:
Place
United States - Texas - Harrison County - Marshall
Era
New South, Populism, Progressivism, and the Great Depression, 1877-1939
Into Modern Times, 1939-Present
Description:

A group of students is gathered in front of Pemberton High School in Marshall. The photograph appears to be from the 1960s. This facade shows the new wing which was added to the front of the old building, creating a courtyard between. Steps shown in front lead directly to Rosborough Springs St. Pemberton became a ninth- grade school in 1970 and was finally merged with Marshall High School in 1988. The building was sold to Wiley College, which is located across the street. Pemberton was named for H. B. Pemberton, the noted African-American educator (1867-1944) who was founder of Central School on Border St., the first public school in Marshall for African-American students. In 1925 Central was moved to the Rosborough Springs site, designated a high school, and renamed in 1941 to honor Pemberton, its first principal.

Language(s):
Subject(s):
Partner:
Marshall Public Library
Collection:
Texas History Collection
Identifier:
  • LOCAL-CONT-NO: mpl-slides-0134
  • ARK: ark:/67531/metapth18046
Resource Type: Photograph
Format: Image
Rights:
Access: Public