[Birmingham Department Store, Marshall]

Description:

Birmingham Department Store in Marshall was located at 205-207 and 213 N. Wellington Street from 1967 or 1968 to 2001 or 2002, according to city directories. The picture is from the 1970's. Other businesses are located there now. The store was owned by Samuel A. (Sam) Birmingham and his wife Jean, a school teacher and administrator. Both Birminghams were also civic leaders. Sam Birmingham was Marshall's first African-American mayor. Mrs. Birmingham served on the city commission after her retirement.

Creator(s): Unknown
Location(s): United States - Texas - Harrison County - Marshall
Creation Date: Unknown
Partner(s):
Marshall Public Library
Collection(s):
Texas History Collection
Usage:
Total Uses: 28
Past 30 days: 2
Yesterday: 0
Creator:
Unknown
Date(s):
  • Digitized: August 7, 2006
Coverage:
Place
United States - Texas - Harrison County - Marshall
Era
Into Modern Times, 1939-Present
Description:

Birmingham Department Store in Marshall was located at 205-207 and 213 N. Wellington Street from 1967 or 1968 to 2001 or 2002, according to city directories. The picture is from the 1970's. Other businesses are located there now. The store was owned by Samuel A. (Sam) Birmingham and his wife Jean, a school teacher and administrator. Both Birminghams were also civic leaders. Sam Birmingham was Marshall's first African-American mayor. Mrs. Birmingham served on the city commission after her retirement.

Language(s):
Subject(s):
Source: Marshall city directories, publishers and dates vary.
Partner:
Marshall Public Library
Collection:
Texas History Collection
Identifier:
  • LOCAL-CONT-NO: mpl-slides-0049
  • ARK: ark:/67531/metapth18131
Resource Type: Photograph
Format: Image
Rights:
Access: Public