[Old Harrison County Courthouse]

Description:

This building is the old Harrison County Courthouse, the fourth one to serve as the seat of county government and the centerpiece of Marshall. Designed by architect J. Riely Gordon, it was erected in 1900. It has a cruciform plan with an embellished rotunda. Exterior embellishments include pedimented porticoes, pilasters with capitals, and a dramatic dome with eagles and a statue of Lady Justice. In 1926, an addition was constructed. A 21st century renovation has restored the building to its 1926 condition. It will continue its existence as the seat of county government and a museum.

Creator(s): Unknown
Location(s): United States - Texas - Harrison County - Marshall
Creation Date: Unknown
Partner(s):
Marshall Public Library
Collection(s):
Texas History Collection
Usage:
Total Uses: 29
Past 30 days: 0
Yesterday: 0
Creator:
Unknown
Date(s):
  • Digitized: August 2, 2006
Coverage:
Place
United States - Texas - Harrison County - Marshall
Era
Into Modern Times, 1939-Present
Description:

This building is the old Harrison County Courthouse, the fourth one to serve as the seat of county government and the centerpiece of Marshall. Designed by architect J. Riely Gordon, it was erected in 1900. It has a cruciform plan with an embellished rotunda. Exterior embellishments include pedimented porticoes, pilasters with capitals, and a dramatic dome with eagles and a statue of Lady Justice. In 1926, an addition was constructed. A 21st century renovation has restored the building to its 1926 condition. It will continue its existence as the seat of county government and a museum.

Physical Description:

2x2 slide, color.

Language(s):
Subject(s):
Keyword(s): Harrison County Historical Museum
Partner:
Marshall Public Library
Collection:
Texas History Collection
Identifier:
  • LOCAL-CONT-NO: mpl-slides-0018
  • ARK: ark:/67531/metapth18162
Resource Type: Photograph
Format: Image
Rights:
Access: Public