[Stained Glass Window Pane of a Wooden Platter]

Description:

Close-up photograph of a stained-glass window pane depicting a wooden platter in the shape of a Jewish star with a double eagle at the center and the date 1770 (in Hebrew). It is one of more than two dozen circular stained-glass discs created in 1947 for the sanctuary of Fort Worth's Temple Beth-El; most of the images were copied from a book on Jewish treasures to represent a collection of Judaica in miniature. This kind of platter is meant to hold Matzo at Passover. The double eagle is a symbol of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. When Beth-El moved in August of 2000, this pane was removed, framed and presented to Broadway Baptist Church, Beth-El's long-time neighbor on Broadway Avenue on the city's near Southside.

Creator(s): Lauer, Ralph
Location(s): United States - Texas - Tarrant County - Fort Worth
Creation Date: 1999  
Partner(s):
Beth-El Congregation Archives
Collection(s):
Rescuing Texas History, 2010
Usage:
Total Uses: 42
Past 30 days: 1
Yesterday: 0
Creator (Photographer):
Lauer, Ralph

"Photo by Ralph Lauer, for Beth-El Congregation"

Date(s):
  • Creation: 1999
Coverage:
Place
United States - Texas - Tarrant County - Fort Worth
Era
Into Modern Times, 1939-Present
Date
1999  
Description:

Close-up photograph of a stained-glass window pane depicting a wooden platter in the shape of a Jewish star with a double eagle at the center and the date 1770 (in Hebrew). It is one of more than two dozen circular stained-glass discs created in 1947 for the sanctuary of Fort Worth's Temple Beth-El; most of the images were copied from a book on Jewish treasures to represent a collection of Judaica in miniature. This kind of platter is meant to hold Matzo at Passover. The double eagle is a symbol of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. When Beth-El moved in August of 2000, this pane was removed, framed and presented to Broadway Baptist Church, Beth-El's long-time neighbor on Broadway Avenue on the city's near Southside.

Note:

The images were painted on circles of glass and fired in 1947 at a Dallas studio for the temple located at 207 W. Broadway Ave. When the congregation moved in 2000, the stained-glass images were removed and twelve (depicting the Twelve Tribes of Israel) were incorporated into the new building; the remaining stained-glass medallions were placed in storage in the archives. This particular pane was framed and presented to a neighbor, Broadway Baptist Church, when the synagogue moved.

Physical Description:

1 photograph : negative, col. ; 35 mm.

Language(s):
Subject(s):
Keyword(s): temples | stained glass windows | Judaism | Jewish community
Contributor(s):
Partner:
Beth-El Congregation Archives
Collection:
Rescuing Texas History, 2010
Identifier:
  • LOCAL-CONT-NO: BEA-PIX-BLD-2-STGL-021
  • ARK: ark:/67531/metapth188527
Resource Type: Photograph
Format: Image