[Southern Pine Lumber Company Sawmil No. 1 from Mill Pond]

Description:

Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill no. 1 from across the mill pond with logs in the foreground. To the right is the log unloading dock. A mill pond worker is also shown standing on logs in the pond. Also known as "mill 1," it cut yellow pine. Construction for this mill began on March 1, 1903, and the mill became operational on June 12 of the same year. It replaced the original mill that was built in 1894. The mill was powered by a 500 horse powered Filer & Stowell 24x40 inch Corliss steam engine. American Lumberman reports that in 1907 the mill had a daily capacity of 240,000 board feet of lumber and 65,000 feet of lath. This mill was destroyed by fire on January 7, 1968 and rebuilt by September of that year.

Creator(s):
Location(s): United States - Texas - Angelina County - Diboll
Creation Date: 1907  
Partner(s):
The History Center
Collection(s):
American Lumberman: Photographs of Southern Pine Lumber Company
Usage:
Total Uses: 18
Past 30 days: 0
Yesterday: 0
Creator (Photographer):
Creator (Photographer):
J. D. Cress

J. D. Cress was an American Lumberman photographer.

Date(s):
  • Creation: 1907
Coverage:
Place
United States - Texas - Angelina County - Diboll
Era
New South, Populism, Progressivism, and the Great Depression, 1877-1939
Date
1907  
Description:

Photograph of the Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill no. 1 from across the mill pond with logs in the foreground. To the right is the log unloading dock. A mill pond worker is also shown standing on logs in the pond. Also known as "mill 1," it cut yellow pine. Construction for this mill began on March 1, 1903, and the mill became operational on June 12 of the same year. It replaced the original mill that was built in 1894. The mill was powered by a 500 horse powered Filer & Stowell 24x40 inch Corliss steam engine. American Lumberman reports that in 1907 the mill had a daily capacity of 240,000 board feet of lumber and 65,000 feet of lath. This mill was destroyed by fire on January 7, 1968 and rebuilt by September of that year.

Physical Description:

1 photograph : gelatin silver, b&w ; 15.5 x 20.4 cm.

Language(s):
Subject(s):
Keyword(s): mill ponds | logs
Partner:
The History Center
Collection:
American Lumberman: Photographs of Southern Pine Lumber Company
Identifier:
  • LOCAL-CONT-NO: 0084_american-lumberman-sp232-1907
  • ARK: ark:/67531/metapth204290
  • ARK: ark:/67531/metapth204290
Resource Type: Photograph
Format: Image