THE Crrt OF HOUTON, TEXAS 73
tion to the handsome passenger terminal and the
convenient freight depots, are a round house and
machine shops, oil tanks and water tanks. Over
200 men are employed in these yards and shops.
The company uses five switch engines, all of which
burn oil. Practically every industrial plant in the
city is reached by these tracks.
The Houston Belt and Terminal company facilities
are used by a number of the roads entering
Houston. The Missouri, Kansas and Texas, the
Santa Fe, the Trinity and Brazos Valley, the Frisco
lines east and the Brownsville line all use the passenger
station. The same lines, with the exception
of the Katy, use the freight facilities.
The International and Great Northern has fiftysix
miles of track in its local terminals. Its yards
are mostly located on this side of the ship channel,
though several miles are in the north side, where
they touch a number of Houston industries. The
principal shops of the company are located in Palestine,
but fifty-seven men are employed in the repair
shops here. About 120 other men are employed
in the yards. The tracks of this company touch
eighty-three different industrial plants. There are
twelve switch engines operating in these yards,
which accommodate 2,500 cars. The oil tanks of
this company in Houston have a capacity of 190
barrels and the water tanks 75,000 gallons There
are six stalls in the round house and 194 switches in
The Missouri, Kansas and
Texas has about fi
Young, Samuel Oliver. A thumb-nail history of the city of Houston, Texas, from its founding in 1836 to the year 1912. Houston, Texas. The Portal to Texas History. http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth24649/. Accessed July 29, 2014.