The early history of Galveston, by Dr. J. O. Dyer

4 The Early History of Galveston.
"different colors." The dark men were partly eaten at a feast-the flesh
from their legs and arms was stripped off and baked over a fire. A little
girl was not killed, but adopted by the tribe. She was seen by several
white men when a grown woman, and whilst she looked somewhat like a
squaw, her features were different, her hair blonde and fine, and her limbs
small. She had a red scar around her neck, and was very timid and afraid
of white men. The Carancahuas, or Carrion Indians, only ate the flesh
of enemies slain in battle, and then only of part of their bodies. (There
are no records of their eating white men in Texas.) There were other maneating
tribes, the Attakapans, with whom the Carancahuas were frequently
confounded. In 1810, a severe hurricane visited the Gulf of Mexico, driving
the spray six miles inward on the coast of Louisiana and rendering the
water in the rivers salty for twenty or thirty miles inland. Galveston
Island had but a few oak trees, a slight ridge extended on the bay shore
in the east end. A pass one-fourth mile wide and very deep separated the
two islands.
The center of the east part of the island (present city) was a
large bayou, connecting with other bayous to The west, ending in a large
marsh. The bayous had entrances to the gulf and bay. The islands in
the bay were mere sandbars, and the island extended much further east.
pertloo fttr l815-
alvceton etabliebcb.
Col. H. Perry and W. D. C. Hall were both in the McGee revolutionary
movement in 1812-13, terminating in the defeat at Medina. In the spring
cf 1815 both Perry and Hall joined the Anaya movement. Colonel Hall
%ent to his native parish to recruit, joining Perry at the island of Chat au
Tigre (Tiger Cat) in Vermillion Bay. He had a camp also at Shell Island,
but had some trouble there with United States officers. He started with
two sloops and one schooner and two hundred men about September 1,
1815. On September 15, 1815, he landed at Bolivar with three vessels, named
the peninsula in honor of President Bolivar of Venezuela, from whom he,
as well as Aury, held commissions. Colonel Hall was a member of the
landing party. Colonel Perry, in October, visited the Coshutta camp on
the Trinity above Liberty. On his return, as his boat was crossing the bay,
he saw the wreckage of one of his ships. His return had been. hastened
by a terrific hurricane which destroyed the Indian village. Clinging to the
wreckage, he picked up Captain Daugherty. Some survivors floated to Virginia
Point. Out of seventy-seven, eleven men and one woman were saved.
Having no food, one of the men who perished, Davis, was eaten. Perry
was waiting for reinforcements to invade Mexico the second time. One of
his ships returning from New Orleans was wrecked in a norther, sixty
being lost, the balance again were saved on a naked sandpit projecting from
the mailand (Virginia Point). When his third vessel was wrecked, February
4, 1816, Perry abandoned his expedition. On September 1 Commodore
Aury arrived at Bolivar with a fleet.
Picking up a few of Perry's men who had a camp at Bolivar, Commodore
Aury established a camp at the east end of the larger island called

Dyer, Joseph O. The early history of Galveston, by Dr. J. O. Dyer. Galveston, Texas. The Portal to Texas History. http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth24651/. Accessed February 1, 2015.