[418 N. Tennessee - St. Mary's Academy]

Description:

Photograph of the front entrance of St. Mary's Academy, located on the 500 Block of N. Tennessee Avenue in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story brick building with Gothic Revival-style features. There is a partially-visible stone tower above the entrance, as well as a stone arch over the door. Part of another wing is visible on the left side of the image.

Creator(s): Unknown
Location(s): United States - Texas - Anderson County - Palestine
Creation Date: 1980~  
Partner(s):
Anderson County Historical Commission
Collection(s):
Rescuing Texas History, 2007
Usage:
Total Uses: 117
Past 30 days: 0
Yesterday: 0
Creator:
Unknown
Date(s):
  • Creation: 1980~
  • Digitized: May 31, 2007
Coverage:
Place
United States - Texas - Anderson County - Palestine
Coordinates
31.763611, -95.635124
Era
Into Modern Times, 1939-Present
Date
1980~  
Description:

Photograph of the front entrance of St. Mary's Academy, located on the 500 Block of N. Tennessee Avenue in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story brick building with Gothic Revival-style features. There is a partially-visible stone tower above the entrance, as well as a stone arch over the door. Part of another wing is visible on the left side of the image.

Note:

The St. Mary’s Academy Building encompassed a large lot in the west end of the Palestine’s central business district, behind the Sacred Heart Catholic Church. The two-story brick facility had an H-shaped plan with a central rising from the “Hyphen”. Gothic Revival stylistic features are seen most prominently at the primary entrance, with its pointed-arched opening, and the tower. Relatively few changes detracted from the property’s historic character and integrity. St. Mary’s Academy was originally a Catholic girls school founded in 1877 in a small, wooden, three-room building. In 1885 the school was moved to this site. This building was built in 1901; the architect is unknown. It was part of the Sacred Heart Catholic Church complex, which forms the core of the vibrant local Catholic community in predominately Protestant East Texas. It was torn down in 1993 to make room for new buildings for the parish.

Physical Description:

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Language(s):
Subject(s):
Keyword(s): church complexes | St. Mary's Academy | historic buildings
Partner:
Anderson County Historical Commission
Collection:
Rescuing Texas History, 2007
Identifier:
  • LOCAL-CONT-NO: ACHC_375
  • ARK: ark:/67531/metapth25644
Resource Type: Photograph
Format: Image
Rights:
Access: Public
Points
31.763611, -95.635124
[418 N. Tennessee - St. Mary's Academy]

Enable Zoom & Pan Controls