[Anderson County Courthouse]

Description:

Photograph of the west side of the Anderson County Courthouse, located at 500 N. Church in Palestine, Texas, taken at night. The three-story building has Classical Revival-style elements including Ionic columns across the front. There is a dome topped with a statue of Lady Justice in the center of the roof.

Creator(s): Unknown
Location(s): United States - Texas - Anderson County - Palestine
Creation Date: 1991~  
Partner(s):
Anderson County Historical Commission
Collection(s):
Rescuing Texas History, 2007
Usage:
Total Uses: 22
Past 30 days: 0
Yesterday: 0
Creator:
Unknown
Date(s):
  • Creation: 1991~
  • Digitized: May 29, 2007
Coverage:
Place
United States - Texas - Anderson County - Palestine
Coordinates
31.764795, -95.626549
Era
Into Modern Times, 1939-Present
Date
1991~  
Description:

Photograph of the west side of the Anderson County Courthouse, located at 500 N. Church in Palestine, Texas, taken at night. The three-story building has Classical Revival-style elements including Ionic columns across the front. There is a dome topped with a statue of Lady Justice in the center of the roof.

Note:

The Anderson County Courthouse is the largest historic institutional building in Palestine and arguably the most prominent architectural landmark. Sited atop a hill that overlooks the central business district to the southwest, the courthouse retains its historic integrity and character. The original architects, C.H. Page and Brother incorporated Classical Revival elements in the design, which bears a resemblance to the firm’s courthouse design for Williamson County, Texas. Legislators designated Palestine the county seat of Anderson County in 1846, the year of the county’s creation. This is the county’s fourth courthouse, and the third to be erected on this site. It was designed in 1913-1914 by the noted Austin architectural firm of Charles Page and Brother. B.P. Garvey of Gainesville, Texas, served as the contractor. The building’s formal dedication ceremony was held December 20, 1914. Billy Bean documented the courthouse in his 1980 survey. The building was extensively remodeled in 1986. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1992 - Building #92001256

Physical Description:

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Language(s):
Subject(s):
Keyword(s): historic buildings
Contributor(s):
Partner:
Anderson County Historical Commission
Collection:
Rescuing Texas History, 2007
Identifier:
  • LOCAL-CONT-NO: ACHC_157
  • ARK: ark:/67531/metapth25701
Resource Type: Photograph
Format: Image
Rights:
Access: Public
Points
31.764795, -95.626549
[Anderson County Courthouse]

Enable Zoom & Pan Controls