[722 S. Magnolia - Lucas Davey House]

Description:

Photograph of the front and south sides of the "Lucas-Davey House," a two-story Queen Anne-style home located at 722 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. Distinctive features include the asymmetrical massing, a richness in details and materials and superb craftsmanship. There are trees and bushes around the house, obscuring the porch and first floor.

Creator(s): McReynolds, Oliver
Location(s): United States - Texas - Anderson County - Palestine
Creation Date: 1979~  
Partner(s):
Anderson County Historical Commission
Collection(s):
Rescuing Texas History, 2007
Usage:
Total Uses: 73
Past 30 days: 0
Yesterday: 0
Creator (Photographer):
Date(s):
  • Creation: 1979~
  • Digitized: May 28, 2007
Coverage:
Place
United States - Texas - Anderson County - Palestine
Era
Into Modern Times, 1939-Present
Date
1979~  
Description:

Photograph of the front and south sides of the "Lucas-Davey House," a two-story Queen Anne-style home located at 722 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. Distinctive features include the asymmetrical massing, a richness in details and materials and superb craftsmanship. There are trees and bushes around the house, obscuring the porch and first floor.

Note:

This opulent Queen Anne-style house is one of Palestine’s premier historic dwellings. Distinctive features include the asymmetrical massing, a richness in details and materials and superb craftsmanship. The house is a textbook example of the Queen Anne style. A large addition has been built onto the rear, but the owners have been careful to reproduce the kinds of detailing and materials seen on the historic portion of the house. Cotton broker Samuel Lucas, a New Orleans native, and his wife, Esther Goldberg Lucas, purchased this lot in December 1892, and began building this house soon afterwards. Architect John S. Moad designed the dwelling; Moad was responsible for a number of notable Texas buildings, including Palestine’s First Christian Church and the now-demolished Railroad Y.M.C.A. Galveston-native Martin A. Davey purchased the property in September 1927. Davey’s knowledge of the geology of Anderson County led him to the discovery of several oil fields in the region, including the lucrative Boggy Creek field; he is generally regarded as the “father of the East Texas oil business.” In 1936 Palestine voted Davey its “number-one citizen.” Davey donated approximately 300 acres to Anderson County in the late 1930s, which later became Davey Dogwood Park. Mr. and Mrs. C.P. Sandifer were later owners of the building.

Physical Description:

1 photograph : b&w ; 3 x 4 in.

Language(s):
Subject(s):
Keyword(s): houses | historic buildings
Contributor(s):
Partner:
Anderson County Historical Commission
Collection:
Rescuing Texas History, 2007
Identifier:
  • LOCAL-CONT-NO: ACHC234
  • ARK: ark:/67531/metapth25775
Resource Type: Photograph
Format: Image
Rights:
Access: Public