[717 S. Sycamore]

Description:

The neighborhood south of the city’s central business district includes many fine late 19th century residences, and this 2-story frame dwelling is one of the most outstanding. The house has elaborate Queen Anne style detailing, seen most prominently in the porches and the gable ends. The intricate woodwork of the porch trim is an outstanding feature. The second floor windows with their round-arched upper sashes and pedimented architraves, suggest an influence of the Italianate style. The house is an important architectural landmark in the neighborhood and retains much of its historic character. According to the current owner, B.T. Scogin of Hamilton County, TX, built this house in 1878-79, to plans possibly drawn by architect Luther McKlemurry. Mr. Scogin and his wife Sarah sold the house in 1879 to Miss Roberta Hotchkiss, who lived here until 1882. She was followed by a number of residents who lived here only one or two years each. Price and Kate Blanchard acquired the house in 1918. Mr. Blanchard owned the P. Blanchard and Sons Dry Goods Company, located at 203 W. Main. By 1935 the house belonged to his son Lawrence W. Blanchard and wife Eloise. Mr. L Blanchard also worked at the family business. The house is still owned by the Blanchard family.

Creator(s): Oliver McReynolds
Location(s): United States - Texas - Anderson County - Palestine
Creation Date: c. 1979  
Partner(s):
Anderson County Historical Commission
Collection(s):
Rescuing Texas History, 2007
Usage:
Total Uses: 72
Past 30 days: 0
Yesterday: 0
Creator (Photographer):
Date(s):
  • Creation: c. 1979
  • Digitized: May 28, 2007
Coverage:
Place
United States - Texas - Anderson County - Palestine
Era
Into Modern Times, 1939-Present
Description:

The neighborhood south of the city’s central business district includes many fine late 19th century residences, and this 2-story frame dwelling is one of the most outstanding. The house has elaborate Queen Anne style detailing, seen most prominently in the porches and the gable ends. The intricate woodwork of the porch trim is an outstanding feature. The second floor windows with their round-arched upper sashes and pedimented architraves, suggest an influence of the Italianate style. The house is an important architectural landmark in the neighborhood and retains much of its historic character. According to the current owner, B.T. Scogin of Hamilton County, TX, built this house in 1878-79, to plans possibly drawn by architect Luther McKlemurry. Mr. Scogin and his wife Sarah sold the house in 1879 to Miss Roberta Hotchkiss, who lived here until 1882. She was followed by a number of residents who lived here only one or two years each. Price and Kate Blanchard acquired the house in 1918. Mr. Blanchard owned the P. Blanchard and Sons Dry Goods Company, located at 203 W. Main. By 1935 the house belonged to his son Lawrence W. Blanchard and wife Eloise. Mr. L Blanchard also worked at the family business. The house is still owned by the Blanchard family.

Physical Description:

3" x 3" black and white photograph

Language(s):
Subject(s):
Partner:
Anderson County Historical Commission
Collection:
Rescuing Texas History, 2007
Identifier:
  • LOCAL-CONT-NO: ACHC171
  • ARK: ark:/67531/metapth25800
Resource Type: Photograph
Format: Image
Rights:
Access: Public