[212 S. Magnolia]

Description:

The 200 block of S. Sycamore is a densely developed residential area containing a significant concentration of 2-story frame houses erected in the 19th century. This house is noteworthy because it survives as a good and relatively intact historic dwelling in this neighborhood. The house has a 2-story porch with ornate jigsawn trim. This house was originally known as 107 Magnolia. The house was built for District Judge William H. Gill in 1893, who lived here until December 1903, when the property was purchased by Mrs. Lula K. Kestler. City directories, however, note that, by 1926, the house was owned and occupied by D.W. and Lula K. Gillespie (perhaps the same woman), and that by 1933 her husband had died and Mrs. Gillespie lived here alone. Directories further reveal that John L. Johnson, an oil field worker, and his wife Lillie lived here during the early 1940s. Katherine L. Mead, acquired the property in 1959, but the property has since changed hands once again.

Creator(s): Oliver McReynolds
Location(s): United States - Texas - Anderson County - Palestine
Creation Date: c. 1991  
Partner(s):
Palestine Public Library
Collection(s):
Rescuing Texas History, 2007
Usage:
Total Uses: 38
Past 30 days: 0
Yesterday: 0
Creator (Photographer):
Date(s):
  • Creation: c. 1991
  • Digitized: June 19, 2007
Coverage:
Place
United States - Texas - Anderson County - Palestine
Era
New South, Populism, Progressivism, and the Great Depression, 1877-1939
Description:

The 200 block of S. Sycamore is a densely developed residential area containing a significant concentration of 2-story frame houses erected in the 19th century. This house is noteworthy because it survives as a good and relatively intact historic dwelling in this neighborhood. The house has a 2-story porch with ornate jigsawn trim. This house was originally known as 107 Magnolia. The house was built for District Judge William H. Gill in 1893, who lived here until December 1903, when the property was purchased by Mrs. Lula K. Kestler. City directories, however, note that, by 1926, the house was owned and occupied by D.W. and Lula K. Gillespie (perhaps the same woman), and that by 1933 her husband had died and Mrs. Gillespie lived here alone. Directories further reveal that John L. Johnson, an oil field worker, and his wife Lillie lived here during the early 1940s. Katherine L. Mead, acquired the property in 1959, but the property has since changed hands once again.

Physical Description:

1 film positive : color ; 35mm

Language(s):
Subject(s):
Partner:
Palestine Public Library
Collection:
Rescuing Texas History, 2007
Identifier:
  • LOCAL-CONT-NO: 33619002247797
  • ARK: ark:/67531/metapth25919
Resource Type: Photograph
Format: Image
Rights:
Access: Public