[717 S. Sycamore]

Description:

Photograph of the front and part of the south side of a two-story frame house located in 717 S. Sycamore in Palestine, Texas. It has Queen Anne-style details on the porch woodwoork and gable ends with Italianate-style influences (including round-arched upper sashes on the second floor windows, and pedimented architraves).

Creator(s): McReynolds, Oliver
Location(s): United States - Texas - Anderson County - Palestine
Creation Date: February 1992
Partner(s):
Palestine Public Library
Collection(s):
Rescuing Texas History, 2007
Usage:
Total Uses: 21
Past 30 days: 0
Yesterday: 0
Creator (Photographer):
Date(s):
  • Creation: February 1992
  • Digitized: June 19, 2007
Coverage:
Place
United States - Texas - Anderson County - Palestine
Coordinates
31.755482, -95.630103
Era
Into Modern Times, 1939-Present
Date
February 1992
Description:

Photograph of the front and part of the south side of a two-story frame house located in 717 S. Sycamore in Palestine, Texas. It has Queen Anne-style details on the porch woodwoork and gable ends with Italianate-style influences (including round-arched upper sashes on the second floor windows, and pedimented architraves).

Note:

The neighborhood south of the city’s central business district includes many fine late 19th century residences, and this 2-story frame dwelling is one of the most outstanding. The house has elaborate Queen Anne style detailing, seen most prominently in the porches and the gable ends. The intricate woodwork of the porch trim is an outstanding feature. The second floor windows with their round-arched upper sashes and pedimented architraves, suggest an influence of the Italianate style. The house is an important architectural landmark in the neighborhood and retains much of its historic character. According to the current owner, B.T. Scogin of Hamilton County, TX, built this house in 1878-79, to plans possibly drawn by architect Luther McKlemurry. Mr. Scogin and his wife Sarah sold the house in 1879 to Miss Roberta Hotchkiss, who lived here until 1882. She was followed by a number of residents who lived here only one or two years each. Price and Kate Blanchard acquired the house in 1918. Mr. Blanchard owned the P. Blanchard and Sons Dry Goods Company, located at 203 W. Main. By 1935 the house belonged to his son Lawrence W. Blanchard and wife Eloise. Mr. L Blanchard also worked at the family business. The house is still owned by the Blanchard family.

Physical Description:

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Language(s):
Subject(s):
Keyword(s): houses | historic buildings
Partner:
Palestine Public Library
Collection:
Rescuing Texas History, 2007
Identifier:
  • LOCAL-CONT-NO: 33619002102232
  • ARK: ark:/67531/metapth26394
Resource Type: Photograph
Format: Image
Rights:
Access: Public
Points
31.755482, -95.630103

Enable Zoom & Pan Controls