[805 S. Sycamore - George Edward Dilley House]

Description:

Photograph of the northeast corner of the "George Edward Dilley House" located at 805 S. Sycamore in Palestine, Texas. The two-story house is painted white and has decorative woodwork around the front porch, as well as a mansard roof and a widow's walk with cast iron handrails. There is a decorative metal fence enclosing the yard.

Creator(s): McReynolds, Oliver
Location(s): United States - Texas - Anderson County - Palestine
Creation Date: February 1992
Partner(s):
Palestine Public Library
Collection(s):
Rescuing Texas History, 2007
Usage:
Total Uses: 43
Past 30 days: 0
Yesterday: 0
Creator (Photographer):
Date(s):
  • Creation: February 1992
  • Digitized: June 19, 2007
Coverage:
Place
United States - Texas - Anderson County - Palestine
Coordinates
31.755195, -95.62999
Era
Into Modern Times, 1939-Present
Date
February 1992
Description:

Photograph of the northeast corner of the "George Edward Dilley House" located at 805 S. Sycamore in Palestine, Texas. The two-story house is painted white and has decorative woodwork around the front porch, as well as a mansard roof and a widow's walk with cast iron handrails. There is a decorative metal fence enclosing the yard.

Note:

This house, located at 805 S. Sycamore Street, was once the home to George Edward Dilley and family, owners of the Dilley Foundry. Mr. Dilley and his father, George Mansfield Dilley established the Lone Star Iron & Brass Works, which was renamed the George M. Dilley & Son Foundry in 1873. The house was finished in late August 1880 and is located on S. Sycamore Street, which was once referred to as 'Silk Stocking Road'. Mr. Dilley was a bachelor when the house was finished, but evidentially he built it for his future bride. He was married to Mae Shepherd on February 10, 1881, and they resided in the house until her unexpected death from pneumonia on 19 January 1883, which occurred while he was out of town on business. He married Lucy Van Deursen on 10 June 1884 and they had two children, Edna May Dilley and Clarence Van Deursen Dilley. After his father’s death in 1910, George Edward changed the name of the foundry to Geo. E. Dilley and Son to include his son Clarence. Three generations of Dilley men operated the Dilley Foundry from the beginning until it closed about 1940.

The house has a mansard roof and a widow's walk with cast iron handrails. At one time, the lawn was enclosed with a fence of arrowhead pickets, as were many others in Palestine. As of May 2006, the house was still owned by descendants of the Dilley Family.

Physical Description:

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Language(s):
Subject(s):
Keyword(s): houses | historic buildings | George Edward Dilley
Partner:
Palestine Public Library
Collection:
Rescuing Texas History, 2007
Identifier:
  • LOCAL-CONT-NO: 33619002102224
  • ARK: ark:/67531/metapth26395
Resource Type: Photograph
Format: Image
Rights:
Access: Public
Points
31.755195, -95.62999

Enable Zoom & Pan Controls