[715 S. Magnolia]

Description:

Photograph of the front and south side of a modified L-plan house located at 715 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. It is painted off-white with green accents and has a distinctive hipped roof and gabled extensions. The house has some Queen Anne-style embellishments including the use of shingles in the gable ends and a dormer window and also has some Classical Revival-style features including small Doric-like columns and simple balustrade on the wrap-around front porch.

Creator(s): Unknown
Location(s): United States - Texas - Anderson County - Palestine
Creation Date: February 1992
Partner(s):
Palestine Public Library
Collection(s):
Rescuing Texas History, 2007
Usage:
Total Uses: 10
Past 30 days: 0
Yesterday: 0
Creator:
Unknown
Date(s):
  • Creation: February 1992
  • Digitized: June 19, 2007
Coverage:
Place
United States - Texas - Anderson County - Palestine
Coordinates
31.755243, -95.63157
Era
Into Modern Times, 1939-Present
Description:

Photograph of the front and south side of a modified L-plan house located at 715 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. It is painted off-white with green accents and has a distinctive hipped roof and gabled extensions. The house has some Queen Anne-style embellishments including the use of shingles in the gable ends and a dormer window and also has some Classical Revival-style features including small Doric-like columns and simple balustrade on the wrap-around front porch.

Note:

Photograph of 715 S. Magnolia taken from the road. One of the most popular building types in Palestine is the modified L-plan house. This dwelling is a good example. With its distinctive hipped roof and gabled extensions, the house displays some Queen Anne and Classical Revival architectural embellishments. The use of shingles in the gable ends and the dormer are indicative of the Queen Anne style, while the small Doric-like columns and simple balustrade on the porch reflect an influence of the Classical Revival style. In good condition and with few alterations, the house retains its integrity to a high degree. Prominent local architect John S. Moad designed this house in 1902 for James A. and Mathilda Caldwell. Mr. Caldwell was the chief dispatcher for the I&GN Railroad. Later owners included E.M. Burrell, owner of Murrell’s Variety Store (located at 115 W. Main), and his wife Odis, who lived here during the mid-1920s. From as early as 1935 through at least 1941, the house was owned and occupied by Walter S. and Ellen Miller.

Physical Description:

1 photograph : positive, col. ; 35 mm.

Language(s):
Subject(s):
Keyword(s): houses | historic buildings
Contributor(s):
Partner:
Palestine Public Library
Collection:
Rescuing Texas History, 2007
Identifier:
  • LOCAL-CONT-NO: 33619002102166
  • ARK: ark:/67531/metapth26401
Resource Type: Photograph
Format: Image
Rights:
Access: Public
Points
31.755243, -95.63157
[715 S. Magnolia]

Enable Zoom & Pan Controls