[601 E. Hodges - Elmwood]

Description:

Photograph of the front and east side of "Elmwood," a white, two-story house located at 601 E. Hodges in Palestine, Texas. The house has a wrap-around porch and a two-story pedimented portico with Ionic-style columns; these elements altered the original Queen Anne-style architecture.

Creator(s): Unknown
Location(s): United States - Texas - Anderson County - Palestine
Creation Date: 1950~  
Partner(s):
Palestine Public Library
Collection(s):
Rescuing Texas History, 2007
Usage:
Total Uses: 20
Past 30 days: 2
Yesterday: 0
Creator:
Unknown
Date(s):
  • Creation: 1950~
  • Digitized: May 9, 2007
Coverage:
Place
United States - Texas - Anderson County - Palestine
Coordinates
31.770533, -95.625764
Era
Into Modern Times, 1939-Present
Date
1950~  
Description:

Photograph of the front and east side of "Elmwood," a white, two-story house located at 601 E. Hodges in Palestine, Texas. The house has a wrap-around porch and a two-story pedimented portico with Ionic-style columns; these elements altered the original Queen Anne-style architecture.

Note:

When originally built, this house was one of three imposing Queen Anne-style residences on the north side of Hodges Street. Although the others have been left unaltered, this dwelling was changed substantially in the early 20th century when the pedimented portico was added to the front. This alteration changed the character of the property by imposing order and balance to an otherwise asymmetrical composition. In this regard, the property is similar to the Henry and Hypatia Link House at 1003 N. Link. This property was the site of the house of Judge James Perry, a lawyer and one of the area’s earliest settlers, who built his log cabin here around 1845. Prominent local businessman Adolphus Benson Hodges (1858-1913) built the extant house, known as “Elmwood”, in 1910-11; it was completed shortly before his death. The building was designed by James F. Brook. Along with his brother, Daniel, Hodges operated a chain of mercantile stores throughout Texas. In addition to their Palestine store, which was located in the still-extant building at the northwest corner of W. Oak and N. Magnolia, they had stores in Marlin, Cuero, Orange and Port Arthur. Hodges’ wife, Mollie Scarbrough Hodges, continued to live in the house after her husband’s death, until 1943, when the home was purchased by Mr. And Mrs. Hugh Sullivan.

Physical Description:

1 photograph : negative, b&w ; 4 x 5 in.

Language(s):
Subject(s):
Keyword(s): houses | historic buildings
Contributor(s):
Partner:
Palestine Public Library
Collection:
Rescuing Texas History, 2007
Identifier:
  • LOCAL-CONT-NO: 33619002180360
  • ARK: ark:/67531/metapth26421
Resource Type: Photograph
Format: Image
Rights:
Access: Public
Points
31.770533, -95.625764

Enable Zoom & Pan Controls