[638 S. Magnolia - Silliman House]

Description:

Photograph of the front and north side of the Silliman House, a two-story, brick Georgian Revival-style house located at 638 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. It has some stone accents including light-colored quoins on the corners.

Creator(s): Unknown
Location(s): United States - Texas - Anderson County - Palestine
Creation Date: 1950~  
Partner(s):
Palestine Public Library
Collection(s):
Rescuing Texas History, 2007
Usage:
Total Uses: 19
Past 30 days: 0
Yesterday: 0
Creator:
Unknown
Date(s):
  • Creation: 1950~
  • Digitized: May 24, 2007
Coverage:
Place
United States - Texas - Anderson County - Palestine
Coordinates
31.756414, -95.631666
Era
Into Modern Times, 1939-Present
Date
1950~  
Description:

Photograph of the front and north side of the Silliman House, a two-story, brick Georgian Revival-style house located at 638 S. Magnolia in Palestine, Texas. It has some stone accents including light-colored quoins on the corners.

Note:

This 2-story dwelling is an excellent illustration of the Georgian Revival style, an early 20th century architectural form rarely found in Palestine. This house is further distinguished by its load-bearing walls, which are a contrast to the prevailing wood-frame construction used on most domestic buildings in Palestine. Noted architect and New Jersey-native James Frith Brook (who was responsible for numerous Palestine buildings, including the Redlands Hotel), designed this house for Dr. J. Calvin Silliman in 1911. C.S. Maffitt was the contractor, but some also believe that he was the architect, instead of Mr. Brook. The story goes that the foundation for the house was installed and had to stand for several months before construction on the dwelling could begin. The outside brick walls were constructed first and then the inside studs and walls were built. The carriage house, located in back, dates back to the first owners of the lot, a Dr. Swinney, whose home was moved to allow for the building of this home. Silliman sold the house to his cousin, John H. Silliman in 1915, when he moved his family to California. A Mississippi native, J.H. Silliman was the proprietor of Silliman and Company – a Palestine business founded in 1871, and one of the largest hardware stores in the region. Silliman married Laura Brook, the architect’s daughter, in 1920 and they lived here until sometime in the 1940’s. Mr. and Mrs. Walter Willis purchased the property from the Silliman’s and they lived there until 1973, when it was sold to the Bailey family.

Physical Description:

1 photograph : negative, b&w ; 4 x 5 in

Language(s):
Subject(s):
Keyword(s): houses | historic buildings
Contributor(s):
Partner:
Palestine Public Library
Collection:
Rescuing Texas History, 2007
Identifier:
  • LOCAL-CONT-NO: 33619002101267
  • ARK: ark:/67531/metapth26536
Resource Type: Photograph
Format: Image
Rights:
Access: Public
Points
31.756414, -95.631666
[638 S. Magnolia - Silliman House]

Enable Zoom & Pan Controls