[1003 N. Link - H.H. Link House]

Description:

Photograph of the front of the "H.H. Link House" located at 1003 N. Link in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story, white house with both Queen Anne and Classical Revival-style architectures, including two-story Ionic columns across the front.

Creator(s): Unknown
Location(s): United States - Texas - Anderson County - Palestine
Creation Date: 1930~  
Partner(s):
Anderson County Historical Commission
Collection(s):
Rescuing Texas History, 2007
Usage:
Total Uses: 42
Past 30 days: 1
Yesterday: 0
Creator:
Unknown
Date(s):
  • Creation: 1930~
  • Digitized: August 24, 2007
Coverage:
Place
United States - Texas - Anderson County - Palestine
Era
New South, Populism, Progressivism, and the Great Depression, 1877-1939
Date
1930~  
Description:

Photograph of the front of the "H.H. Link House" located at 1003 N. Link in Palestine, Texas. It is a two-story, white house with both Queen Anne and Classical Revival-style architectures, including two-story Ionic columns across the front.

Note:

In early 1993 a major renovation of this house was underway; nonetheless, the house is one of the most noteworthy historic residential landmarks in the city. Stylistically, the building is a hybrid of Queen Anne and Classical Revival elements. The asymmetrical massing of the house is typical of Queen Anne dwellings of the late 19th century, but the imposition of a balanced and formal Classical Revival portico completely changed the character of the building. The combining of these two distinctly different architectural forms has brought about one of the most unique historic dwellings in Palestine. Dr. Henry Harnsbarger Link (1820-1890) built a small house on this site in the mid-1850’s for his wife Hypatia McGee Link (1829-1888). A Tennessee native, Dr. Link came to Anderson County in 1846, and is considered to be one of Palestine’s earliest physicians. He gradually expanded his small house as his medical practice flourished. Their eldest son, Dr. Henry R. Link, inherited the house in 1912, and began a major restoration which transformed the house into the grand two-story Classical Revival dwelling that exists today. The original rooms now form the house’s front hall. Another of H.H. Link’s sons, Dr. Edwin W. Link, in 1895 built a grand Queen Anne-style house across the street, at 925 N. Link, on land which was originally part of the Link family homestead. The Link family was responsible for the construction of several other notable historic buildings in Palestine, including the Gregg-Link building at 101 W. Spring and the Link building at 521 N. Church.

Physical Description:

1 photograph : b&w ; 3 x 5 in.

Language(s):
Subject(s):
Keyword(s): houses | historic buildings
Partner:
Anderson County Historical Commission
Collection:
Rescuing Texas History, 2007
Identifier:
  • LOCAL-CONT-NO: ACHC_338
  • ARK: ark:/67531/metapth29254
Resource Type: Photograph
Format: Image
Rights:
Access: Public