[1305 S. Sycamore - Broyles House]

Description:

This house is one of the most opulent and outstanding examples of the Queen Anne style in Palestine. This majestic 2 ½ story frame residence displays superb craftsmanship throughout the elaborate woodwork of the exterior. The building retains much of its historic character and integrity. Prominent local architect Luther McKlemurry designed and built this house for William McBurney Broyles and his wife Caroline Scott Broyles in 1893-94. An Alabama native, Mr. Broyles (1849-1925) was a prosperous East Texas lumberman, who played an important role in the economic development of Palestine during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. He was active in local real estate, and developed three new additions to the town, including the Broyles Addition, on which this house is situated. Much of the exemplary millwork featured on the house was manufactured in Broyles’ own Palestine mills. The house was later occupied by son Gordon Broyles, who lived here until his death in 1987. The house is still in the Broyles family.

Creator(s): Unknown
Location(s): United States - Texas - Anderson County - Palestine
Creation Date: c. 1900  
Partner(s):
Anderson County Historical Commission
Collection(s):
Rescuing Texas History, 2007
Usage:
Total Uses: 87
Past 30 days: 1
Yesterday: 0
Creator:
Unknown
Date(s):
  • Creation: c. 1900
  • Digitized: August 21, 2007
Coverage:
Place
United States - Texas - Anderson County - Palestine
Era
New South, Populism, Progressivism, and the Great Depression, 1877-1939
Description:

This house is one of the most opulent and outstanding examples of the Queen Anne style in Palestine. This majestic 2 ½ story frame residence displays superb craftsmanship throughout the elaborate woodwork of the exterior. The building retains much of its historic character and integrity. Prominent local architect Luther McKlemurry designed and built this house for William McBurney Broyles and his wife Caroline Scott Broyles in 1893-94. An Alabama native, Mr. Broyles (1849-1925) was a prosperous East Texas lumberman, who played an important role in the economic development of Palestine during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. He was active in local real estate, and developed three new additions to the town, including the Broyles Addition, on which this house is situated. Much of the exemplary millwork featured on the house was manufactured in Broyles’ own Palestine mills. The house was later occupied by son Gordon Broyles, who lived here until his death in 1987. The house is still in the Broyles family.

Physical Description:

6 1/2" x 8 1/2" black and white photograph

Language(s):
Subject(s):
Partner:
Anderson County Historical Commission
Collection:
Rescuing Texas History, 2007
Identifier:
  • LOCAL-CONT-NO: ACHC_252
  • ARK: ark:/67531/metapth29326
Resource Type: Photograph
Format: Image
Rights:
Access: Public