HISTORY OF' TESXAS.
350,000 for the erection of buildings and the
purchase of furniture. An admirable location,
about two and a quarter miles northwest
of Austin, was selected for the buildings, and
the institution first opened for the reception
of students October 1, 1887. On November
1, 1891, there had been 73 pupils enrolled
and in actual attendance. Of this number
37 were deaf mutes and 36 blind persons.
The same general rules of government and
conditions of admission in force at the institutions
for the blind and deaf and dumb for
the whites, obtain in this institution. The
text-books and system of instruction are also
Including the superintendent, there are
three officers and four teachers and four employes
connected with the institution, all of
whom are colored people.
Value of buildings and grounds, $34,000;
total disbursements from March 1, 1889, to
October 1, 1890, $24,553.48.
OTHER STATE INSTITUTIONS.
STATE LUNATIC ASYLUM.
The State Lunatic Asylum is situated about
two miles north of Austin, on a beautiful
plateau of ground adorned and beautified by
flowers, plants, summer-houses and forest
trees, the latter constituting a splendid park,
upon whose grassy lawn the patients are permitted
to take exercise and get fresh air and
sunshine. The buildings are capacious and
elegant, though somewhat crowded owing to
the rapidity with which the insane population
There are ninety.-five employes in the institution.
The estimated value of- the buildings and
grounds is $505,000, that of all other prop
erty belonging to the institution $35,419.83.
In connection with the institution there is
a large farm and garden where patients are
permitted to work with a view of diverting
the mind and affording exercise for the body.
For the same purpose concerts, music, dancing
and other amusements are indulged in
once each week. Most of the patients enjoy
the farm work very Inuch, and look forward
with great interest for the return of the day
appointed for the weekly entertainment. In
this way their minds are pleasantly occupied
with the new subjects, and in many cases ultimate
recovery thereby made possible.
From the report of the superintendent for
the year ending October 31, 1890, the following
data have been obtained:
Number patients admitted during the year,
106; discharged restored, 27; discharged imnproved,
37; discharged unimproved, 1; total
discharged, 65; furloughed, 36; returned from
furlough, 33; died, 33; escaped, 19; returned
from escape, 17. Total treated during the
year, 745; number in asylum October 31,
The daily average number present during
the year was 621, and the cost per annun of
keeping each patient, $149.71, or $2.87 per
week. Total expenditures for the year, $130,326.54,
of which $5,000 was for permanent
The total number of patients admitted from
the beginning of the hospital is 3,678, of
which number 667 died, 66 escaped. 1,798
were discharged, 53 furloughed.
NORTH TEXAS HOSPITAL FOR THE INSANE.
This institution is located at Terrell, in
Kaufman county, and was first opened for the
reception of patients July 15, 1885. It was
established in obedience to a general demand
Lewis Publishing Company, publisher. History of Texas, together with a biographical history of Milam, Williamson, Bastrop, Travis, Lee and Burleson counties : containing a concise history of the state, with portraits and biographies of prominent citizens of the above named counties, and personal histories of many of the early settlers and leading families. Chicago. The Portal to Texas History. http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29785/. Accessed May 28, 2016.