HISTORY OF TEXAS.
There are in that city eleven churches,
with an estimated membership of 3,200, and
there are twenty lodges.
Bro??wnsville, the county seat of C.uineron,
county, is situated in the southwestern part
of tlhe county, on the Rio Grande, about
thirty miles above its mouth, and directly
opposite the Mexican city of Matamioras. It
has a large trade with tlhe numerous small
towns along the Rio Grande for a distance of
400 miles, the extent of steamboat navigation.
It has commercial relations with the
gulf ports, both by the way of the mouth of
the Rio Grande and the port of Brazos de
Santiago, with which it is connected by the
Rio Grande Railroad.
Population in 1890, 6,020. Assessed value
of property, $886,215 in 1880, and in 1891
Bryant, in Brazos county, had a population
in 1890 of 3,869, and an assessed valuation
All the church buildings are nice, llandsome
Burnet, the capital of Buirnet county, is
situated about the center of the county, on
the Austin & Northwestern Railway, and
surrounded by picturesque scenery. It has
a good trade, and is specially a wool and livestock
market. Assessed value of all property
inl 1891, $543,135.
Clebtrne, the seat of government for Johlnson
county, is located near the center of tlhe
county, on the edge of the Lower Cross Timbers,
fifty-two miles from Dallas and twentyeight
from Fort Worth. It is on the main
line of the Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe Railroad,
and is the location of the shops of that
road, and also has a railroad direct to I)allas
and to Weatherford. It is situated in the
midst of a fine agricultural and stock-raising
district, as well as horticultural. It is the
largest shipping point on its line between
Galveston and Dallas or Fort Worth.
Assessed valuation of property in 1891,
Besides an excellent system of publlie
schools there is a seminary of high standing
and several smaller private schools.
C('uro, thle county seat of De Witt county.
had in 1890 a population of 3,079, and is a
growing town, doing considerable business.
Dalla.s is situated on the Trinity river
near the center of the county. It is a city of
great push and energy. It has grown from
a village of 10,358 inhabitants in 188() to a
population of 38,140 in 1890. The assessed
values show a similar ratio of increase, having
increased from $3,420,045 in 1880 to
$32,098,950 in 1890. The population given
here includes Dallas with all its suburbs.
Th]e period in tlhe history of Dallas has
been reached when its future is no longer
doubtful. Its natural advantages make it a
rival of the most prosperous Jties of tlihe
South in progres.iveiness and commercial importance.
It is situated in thle inidt of the
great grain belt of the State, and the many
new enterprises inaugurated during tlhe past
few years are only keeping pace with the
General expansion going on. In point of
agricultural surroundings and mnanufacturin-l
and commercial importance it is inferior to
no city in the State. The past year has been
a very prosperous one for Dallas. The number
of public buildings and private residences
constructed are said to be greater than that
of any other city in the State.
Dallas has fine railroad facilities for marketing
its manufactured products. The following
railroads run into tlhe city: The
Texas & Pacific, tle Dallas & Wichita,
the Houston & Texas Central, the Missouri
Pacific, the Texas Trunk, the Gulf, Colorado
Lewis Publishing Company, publisher. History of Texas, together with a biographical history of Milam, Williamson, Bastrop, Travis, Lee and Burleson counties : containing a concise history of the state, with portraits and biographies of prominent citizens of the above named counties, and personal histories of many of the early settlers and leading families. Chicago. The Portal to Texas History. http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29785/. Accessed February 11, 2016.