HISTORY OF TEXAS.
& Santa Fe, the Dallas & Waco, and the
Dallas, Southeastern & Pacific, about completed--thus
making Dallas one of the great
railroad centers of the State. It has sixteen
miles of rapid-transit railroad, and about this
mileage under construction; twenty-six miles
of electric street railroad, and several miles
being constructed. The business streets and
mallny miles of residence streets are paved
with bois d'arc.
A careful estimate of tlhe volume of trade
for 1890 gives the total of mercantile transactions
$26,097,000. Tlhe city has seven
large flouring mills, ten banks, etc. There
was spent in 1888 $2,750,000 in building
operations and public inmprovemleuts.
The State Fair and Dallas Exposition,
which is thle outgrowth of thle consolidation
of the Dallas State Fair and Exposition and
tlhe Texas State Fair is located at Dallas,
with a capital of $250,000. It is situated
about two miles from the courtliouse and has
a rapid-transit electric and railroad lines running
to tlIe grounds. The grounds cover an
area of 120 acres, wlichl, with all improvements,
cost $177,000. It is one of Dallas'
most successful enterprises, as exhibited by
the receipts and expenses for 1888-receipts
$110,000, expenses $80,000.
The Federal District and Circuit Court for
the Northern District of Texas is also located
The receipts of the Dallas post-office for
the years 1888 and 1889, for example, very
largely increased, and give an idea of the
varied growth of postal business. For the
fiscal year ending June 30, 1888, $63,305.26;
for the fiscal year ending June 30, 1889,
Deni8on is a flourishing town of Grayson
county, on the Houston & Texa Central
Railway and is the southern terminus of the
great Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railway.
It is three miles south of Red river. The
population now is 11,000, and the place is
rapidly improving. It is one of the most
important places in northern Texas.
IDItoi,, the county seat.of Denton county,
is thirty-five miles northwest of the city of
Dallas by the line of the Dallas & Wichita
Railroad, which has its terminus at Denton.
It is situated about the center of the county,
on tlhe Transcontinental division of the Texas
& Pacific Railroad.
It hlas a population of 3,129, with property
assessed at about $1,000,000. Has two
national banks, with a paid up capital of
$110,000; two flouring mills, representing an
invested capital of $100,000; an ice factory,
marble works, two brick factories, two potteries,
and several other manufacturing
Estimated mercantile transactions in 1890,
$810,000. There were expended in 1890
$25,000 in public improvements.
'oUrt lWorth, the county seat of Tarrant
county, is situated near the center of the
county, on a high plateau overlooking the
Trinity river. It is vigorous and enterprising,
and is a success as a commercial and
manufacturing point. Its growth has been
steady and uniform. Fort Worth has long
been the distributing point for the live-stock
trade of the northwest; and to this is now
added the enormous grain trade of the lately
opened region of northwestern Texas known
as the ,"Panhandle."
In 1876 it had a population of 1,123, and
that year the Texas & Pacific Railroad was
built to it. The increase in population and
wealth was thenceforward very marked. The
United States census for 1890 gave a population
of 22,700; that of 1891, estimated at
(city directory) 82,000.
Lewis Publishing Company, publisher. History of Texas, together with a biographical history of Milam, Williamson, Bastrop, Travis, Lee and Burleson counties : containing a concise history of the state, with portraits and biographies of prominent citizens of the above named counties, and personal histories of many of the early settlers and leading families. Chicago. The Portal to Texas History. http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29785/. Accessed September 30, 2014.