HISTORY OF TEXAS.
Park occupies 80 acres, the City Park 25
acres. There are a number of public squares,
an esplanade two miles long, and several
public gardens. Magnolia Grove Cemetery
comprises 100 acres, and the City Cemetery
Four railroads run into the city of (;.alveston.
They are thle Galveston, Ilouston &
Henderson, the Gulf. Colorado & Santa Fe,
the International & Great Northern, and tlhe
Aransas Pass-thle latter running into the
city via the track of the Gulf, Colorado &
All of the principal railroads in the State
also have an outlet to the gulf over these
In point of manufacturing and colnmercial
importance Galveston surpasses any city in
the State, and rivals many of the leading
cities of the South with even greater population.
Galveston is the most attractive, coolest
and healthiest city in the South. Constant
gulf breeze, unsurpassed surf bathing and
thirty miles of beach for riding and driving,
which is unequaled in the world.
Georgetown, the county seat of Williamson8
county, is situated in a high, healthy
section of the county, on the bank of the
beautiful San Gabriel river, at the terminus
of the Georgetown branch of the International
& Great Northern Railroad from the
south, and also the Georgetown & Granger
branch of the Missouri, Kansas & Texas
Railroad from the east. Its population is
2,538. It has two banks, one private and
one national. The transactions of these two
banks during 1890 amounted to $8,000,000.
Amount expended in building operations
and public improvements, $500,000.
' Manufacturing establishments consist of
:h1air and furniture factory, sock factory, two
planing mills working all kinds of woodwork
for building purposes; ice factory, capacity
six tons per day; one roller flouring mill,
capacity 110 1)arrels per day; one saddle and
harness factory; one plow factory.
The Southwestern U niversity is located
liere, which has the patronage of the five
annual conferences of Texas, of tlhe Methodist
Episcopal Church, South. The annual
enrolled attendance in 1890-'91 was about
600; $100,000 was expended in 1891 in
improvements of tlhe buildings of this university.
The Texas Chautauqua Assembly is located
on a highly, elevated hill, immediately west of
the city, and on the opposite side of the river,
which is spanned by a magnificent suspension
bridge, and is in a flourishing condition.
The city is supplied with a magnificent
system of waterworks, furnishing pure water
Gonzales, the capital of the county of the
same name, is situated on the Guadalupe
river, a mile below the mouth of the San
Marcos river, about sixty-six miles east of
San Antonio and sixty miles south by east of
Austin. It has a population of 2,500, two
banks, three clhurclhes and a college.
Ilempstead, in Waller county, is situated
on a high, rolling prairie, about fifty miles
northwest of Houston, on the Houston &
Texas Central Railway, and is the eastern
terminus of the Austin branch of that railway.
It is in the midst of a most productive
agricultural region. Population, 2,259. There
are sold in the place about 3,500 bales of
cotton annually, and it is also a great shipping
point for watermelons and canteloupes.
Hlouston, the capital of Harris county, in
latitude 29 30', longitude 94 50', is at the
head of navigation of Buffalo bayou, fifty
miles northwest of Galveston, and the rail
Lewis Publishing Company, publisher. History of Texas, together with a biographical history of Milam, Williamson, Bastrop, Travis, Lee and Burleson counties : containing a concise history of the state, with portraits and biographies of prominent citizens of the above named counties, and personal histories of many of the early settlers and leading families. Chicago. The Portal to Texas History. http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29785/. Accessed May 4, 2016.