218 HISTORY OF TEXAS.
rood center of Texas. The city is situated
on both sides of the bayou, on gently undulating
land, and has steamboat communication
with Galveston daily. In 1890 it had a
population of 27,411. Besides the usual
complement of schools and churches it contains
the Masonic Temple for the Grand
Lodge of Texas, and its city hall and ilarket
house are unsurpassed in the South. The
annual State fair is also held here. It is an
important manufacturing center.
Assessed value of all property in 1891,
$15,776,449, which is greater by nearly $3,000,000
than that of the preceding year.
Total value of all the property owned by the
city, $260,000. Number of square miles
within the corporate limits, nine.
Hunts8ville, the last residence of the
lamented Sam Houston, is the seat of government
of Walker county, on the Huntsville
branch of the International & Great
Northern Railroad, seventy-four miles north
of Houston. It contains eight churches, the
State penitentiary, Andrew Female College,
Austin College (Presbyterian), etc. Population,
2,271. Assessed value of all property
in 1891, $490,000.
Kaufman, at the crossing of the east
branch of the Texas Central and the Texas
Trunk railroads, has enjoyed a constant increase
in population and in taxable values.
Since 1870 the number of inhabitants has
increased from 400 to about 3,000. Assessed
values in 1890, $800,000.
Lan.pasas, with a population of about 3,000,
has a property assessed in 1891 at $1,096,325.
There is also a seminary at that
Laredo, on the Rio Grande, at th$ junction
of the International & Great Northern
and the Mexican National railroads, has a
population of 11.313, an Ursnline academy
or convent, and property assessed at $2,405,870
7rarlin, the county seat of Falls county,
is situated four miles northeast from the
geographical center of the county, on the
Waco division of the Houston & Texas Central
Railroad. It has a population of 2,276,
and property assessed in 1891 at $1,050,000.
Amount expended in buildings and improve.
ments during that year, $65,000.
iiiarshal', the seat of government for Harrison
county, in the eastern part of the State,
has now a population of 7,196, six churches,
a female college, Wiley University (Methodist
Episcopal), the machine shops and headquarters
of the Texas & Pacific Railroad, etc.
The Shreveport branch of the railroad forms
its junction there.
.MeKinney, the headquarters of Collin.
county, on the Houston & Texas Central
Railroad, is the terminus of the East Line
& Red River Railroad. The assessed value
of the property of the place increased from
$610,000 in 1880 to $1,230,780 in 1888.
In 1890 $30,000 was spent in buildings and
improvements, and this is but a sample of
what that city is averaging. Population in
Nacogd(oees8, capital of the county of the
same name, is situated-on the Houston, East
& West Texas Railroad, 140 miles from
Houston and ninety from Shreveport. It is
the best trading point between those two
places. The amount of bank exchange in
1890 was $400,000.
New Birmingham, in Cherokee county,
with a population of 1,200 in 1890, is destined
to become an iron-manufacturing city
of considerable importance. It is situated
only a mile and a half from Rusk, and is a
new.p'ace, being laid off in 1888. It is on
HIS TORY FTEAS
Lewis Publishing Company, publisher. History of Texas, together with a biographical history of Milam, Williamson, Bastrop, Travis, Lee and Burleson counties : containing a concise history of the state, with portraits and biographies of prominent citizens of the above named counties, and personal histories of many of the early settlers and leading families. Chicago. The Portal to Texas History. http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29785/. Accessed December 10, 2013.