History of Texas, together with a biographical history of Milam, Williamson, Bastrop, Travis, Lee and Burleson counties : containing a concise history of the state, with portraits and biographies of prominent citizens of the above named counties, and personal histories of many of the early settlers and leading families

2(14_ HITR OFTXS

Polyclinic in 1883, and again in 1889. Since
,that time he has had a lucrative practice in
Taylor, although his time and attention is
much drawn upon iii other matters of l)usiness.
He is Mayor of the city of Taylor,
president of the Taylor Street Railway Comnpany,
and a member of the firm of DoakGano
Land Agency. Dr. Doak is identified
with almost every enterprise of a public
nature in Taylor. It was through his energy
and push that Taylor has a free-school building,
which cost .45,000, was for a number
of years president of the Board of School
Trustees, and is regarded as the champion of
public frce-schools and education under the
graded-school system. He now lives to
enjoy the pleasure of seeing over 1,100
children attending a nine-months free school
in the year. The Doctor is also interested in
the West Side, a beautiful addition to Taylor,
through which the Tayor Street Railroad
runs, and it embraces the most choice residence
property in the city. In company
with J. E. Tucker, Dr. Doak is interested in
the Coitnmercial Hotel, a magnificent threestory
brick building, 90 x 100 feet, and is
recognized by the traveling public as one of
the most commodious and comfortable hotels
in the State.
December 6, 1866, the Doctor was united
in marriage, in Charles City county, Virginia,
with Miss Martha Tabb Ferguson, a
daughter of Austin H. Fergusotn, wko was
for forty years professor and superintendent
of Northwood Academy, of Charles City
county, a noted educational institution of
that State. Mrs. Doak is a favorite in the
social circles of Taylor, and at all times is a
ready and willing worker in any enterprise of
a religious or moral nature. She is now a
member of the Executive Boarf of Lady
Managers for the Columbian Exposition of

the State of Texas. Mr. and Mrs. Doak
have had seven children : Annie, Ferguson,
Elizabeth, Vernon, Edward, Wyeth and
Sloan. Dr. Doak and family are members of
the Episcopal Church. The Doctor is also a
member of the A. F. & A. M.; the R. A. M.,
Solomon Lodge, No. 484; the K. of P.,
Alamo Lodge, No. 53; the L. of H. and the
K. of H. He enjoys the confidence and
esteem of his community, and is an ornament
to any country in which he may live.
OHN SCOTT, a prominent farmer and
Jtr stock-raiser of Williamson county, was /
born in Rappahannock, Virginia, February
25, 1849, a son of John and Tabitha
(Lockhart) Scott, natives also of Virginia, and
of Scotch-Irish descent. The Scott family
settled in Virginia in an early day. The
father of our subject still resides in that
State, aged eighty-three years, and his wife
died in 1890. They were the parents of
thirteen children, ten of whom grew to years of
maturity, namely: Tabitha, wifeof A.A. Pinkard;
William, who was a soldier in the Civil
war; Frances, deceased; David, also a soldier
in the late war, died in October, 1861; Ann,
deceased; Armnstead, who was a conscript
officer during the war; Kate, deceased, was
the wife of A. Holland; Rachel, wife of William
K. Rudasill, of Virginia; John, our subject;
and Lizzie, deceased, was the wife of
A. Compton.
John Scott, the only one of the above family
to come to Texas, remained with his
parents until twenty-two years of age; when,
in April, 1872, he came to Williamson'
county, this State. He first found employment
as a farm hand, and in 1873 bought a
small tract of land, to which he has since

2(4

RISTORY F EXS

Lewis Publishing Company, publisher. History of Texas, together with a biographical history of Milam, Williamson, Bastrop, Travis, Lee and Burleson counties : containing a concise history of the state, with portraits and biographies of prominent citizens of the above named counties, and personal histories of many of the early settlers and leading families. Chicago. The Portal to Texas History. http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29785/. Accessed July 24, 2014.