History of Texas, together with a biographical history of Milam, Williamson, Bastrop, Travis, Lee and Burleson counties : containing a concise history of the state, with portraits and biographies of prominent citizens of the above named counties, and personal histories of many of the early settlers and leading families

HITR FTXS 7

When this house opened for business the
stock comprised dry goods and groceries, but
as the trade increased boots and shoes and
hats were added to the list. The patronage is
drawn from central and southern Texas, and
an annual business of $250,000 is transacted.
The firm is a strong one and enjoys an enviable
reputation in commercial circles
throughout the Southwest.
Mr. Eilers was married in March, 1887, to
Miss Maggie, a daughter of Captain Thomas
Cater, a worthy pioneer of Travis county
and an old merchant of Austin. Mrs. Eilers
is a niece of John D. McCall, present Comptroller
of the State of Texas, and is one of a
family of five. Our subject and wife have
one child, a daughter named Bessie. Mr.
Eilers possesses the business sagacity of his
esteemed father, and promises to attain a
place of equal importance in the commercial
world.
L OUIS EILERS.-Forty years of continuous
and successful mercantile life
in one place is the statement of a fact to
which rhetorical effort adds little force. The
name of Louis Eilers long ago became the
synonym of honor, and has proven a powerful
influence for good in the community. He is
the son of Joseph S. and Julia (Brueck) Eilers,
and was born in the city of Amsterdam, Holland,
February 1, 1828; his father was a merchant
of that city, and he was given a thorough
training in all the details of the business. In
1852 he sailed for America, and spent the
first year here prospecting, his observations
resulting in his selecting Bastrop, Texas, as
a location for his operations. In 1853 lihe
opened a. store there, and although it was a
somewhat primitive beginning the patronage

was encouraging. Obstacles and reverses
both attended these early efforts, and in 1862
the entire stock was destroyed by fire with
the building, and there was not a dollar of
insurance. After this calamity Mr. Eilers
went to Matamnoras, Mexico, and there purchased
a stock of goods that were confiscated
in transportation and were a total loss to the
purchaser. Nothing daunted he made another
effort and soon made his way to the
front again.
The firm name was changed to Louis
Eilers & Son in 1891, his son Louis being
admitted a member of the firm. They carry
a stock of $20,000, and do an annual business
of $60.000.
Mr. Eilers was married the year following
his establishment in business to Caroline
Johnson, of Albany, New York, who became
the mother of five children; she died June
23, 1885, at Austin, Texas, whither she had
been taken for medical treatment; she was a
woman of many virtues, and was deeply
mourned by her family and friends. Julia,
deceased, was the eldest daughter and the
wife of A. H. Crow; Laura is the wife of A.
T. McKean, of Austin; Mary L. married
George W. Massie; Louis, Jr., the eldest
son, was born August 22, 1861, and was a
student at Bickler College, Austin, and at
Poughkeepsie, New York, graduating at the
latter institution in 1880. Upon his return
from New York he assumed practical control
o' his father's business and has since devoted
his attention to the interests of the firm. In
1892 the firm name was changed to Louis
Eilers & Son, and the son is a worthy descendant
of the father.
On October 30, 1883, he was united in
marriage to Miss Emma Duncan, a daughter
of the Rev. J. Duncan, a prominent rector
of the Episcopal Church. Mrs. Eilers has

I

-H-8- RY O TEAS

273

Lewis Publishing Company, publisher. History of Texas, together with a biographical history of Milam, Williamson, Bastrop, Travis, Lee and Burleson counties : containing a concise history of the state, with portraits and biographies of prominent citizens of the above named counties, and personal histories of many of the early settlers and leading families. Chicago. The Portal to Texas History. http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29785/. Accessed February 1, 2015.