gill. Residing there until 1869, lie bought Columbia county, Arkansas, aiil settle'l in
a tract on the Brazos river, to which he the eastern part of this county on Little
loved in 1870. Ten years later lie settled river, where it ,Lubequently went into perwhere
lie now lives, in the same locality. manent quarters. The head of this caravan
Here he owns 400 acres of fine farming land,, wa^s Thelston A. Goodwin, wllo had suffered
and with his large family of sons is cultivat- ,everely for the cause of the South and who,
ing 250 acres. He conducts a considerable though opposed on principle to secession,
stock interest in addition to the farm, having rendered good service to the movement in its
leased a large pasture in which lie keeps cattle. earlier stages in thle State whence he camine.
His average cotton crop is about seventy-five Thelston A. Goodwin was born in Putman
bales per year, and his grain and stock prod- county, Georgia. Juiie 29, 1818, and was
ucts are in proportion. reared and was married the first time in that
In 1859 Mr. Taylor married Sarah, daugh- State, and moved sonie time in the " '40s "
ter of William Pruitt, an Alabanma farmer to Macon county, Mississippi, and later to
and carpenter, who came to Texas about 1836. Talladega county, Alabama, and thence to
Mrs. Taylor was born in Alabama, in 1840. i Columnbia county. Arkansas, where lie was for
She and her husband are the parents of the a numliber of years engaged successfully in
following children: William McClemi, wlho farm:ilng. By industry and good managemarried
Josie Smiley, who is row deceased; inent he succeeded at the opening of the late
Patrick Henry; Maggie, now deceased, who war in accumulating a considerable amount
was the wife of John Whitehurst; James; of property, which, however, was soon swept
Joshua; John G.; Napoleon; Thomas B.; away by tlie ravages of that great conflict,
Ida; Dock; Alexander, deceased; Richlard; and at the time of his removal to this State
and "Boy," who is yet unnamed. his possessions consisted of only a few hunMr.
Taylor is a Jeffersonian Democrat, but dred dollars, invested mostly in stock, wagdoes
not take much interest in political mat- ons and household effects, with a few dollars
ters. He is a member of the Masonic fra- in cash left over. He invested his cash in
ternity at Rosebud, alnd of the Missionary 400 acres of land lying on Little river, on
Baptist Church at Caddo. which lie took up his residence and where he
soon resumed agricultural pursuits, which he
.A.rs~ .P.-- * ' . followed successfully there for some years.
Of modest demeanor, quiet, unassumingr
B A. GOODWIN.-Early in 1864, while ways, lie spent his time mainly about his
the late Civil war was still raging in home and devoted his attention to his perthe
older Southern States and many sonal interests. While a resident of Arkangood
citizens of that section who were exempt sas he had represented his county a number
by age or physical infirmities from military of terms in the State Legislature and was
service were seeking refuge from their perse- otherwise prominent in local affairs. Of good
cutors in this more favored section, there ar- intelligence and pleasant social qualities he
rived in Milam county a caravan, travel- never lacked friends wherever he lived, and
worn, weather-stained and exhausted in re- always succeeded in impressing himself fasources,
having made its way overland from vorably on those with whom lie was associ
-HISTORY OF TEXAS.
Lewis Publishing Company, publisher. History of Texas, together with a biographical history of Milam, Williamson, Bastrop, Travis, Lee and Burleson counties : containing a concise history of the state, with portraits and biographies of prominent citizens of the above named counties, and personal histories of many of the early settlers and leading families. Chicago. The Portal to Texas History. http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29785/. Accessed August 27, 2015.