History of Texas, together with a biographical history of Milam, Williamson, Bastrop, Travis, Lee and Burleson counties : containing a concise history of the state, with portraits and biographies of prominent citizens of the above named counties, and personal histories of many of the early settlers and leading families

46:

462 HISTOR OF TEXAS

baugh, a merchant by occupation, was born
and"passed his entire life in Highland county,
Ohio, and died of disease contracted while
serving as a Union soldier. Mrs. Koontz
was left an orphan at the age of thirteen
years, with two sisters: Mary, wife of J. H.
Van Pelt, a prosperous farmer of Madison
county, Ohio; and Ella, now Mrs. E. B. Collier,
of Dayton, that State. Mr. and Mrs.
Koontz have had the following children:
Texas Belle, Carlo Serena, and Ernest Samuel,
aged respectively (1893), eleven, nine and
seven years.
D R. JOHlN TIHREADGILL, Second
Vice President of the First National
1- HBank of Taylor, was born in Ainson
county, North Carolina, September 28, 1847,
a son of James and Eliza (Paul) Threadgill,
who were born and reared there, the father
being of English and the mother of Scotch
extraction. The father was a speculator and
was favorably known all over the Southwest.
For over thirty years he was a prominent
member of the Methodist Episcopal Church,
a good man and foremost in the conflicts of
the times for the betterment of the condition
of the masses. He took a broad view of his
personal responsibility and his active years
were all most earnestly given to the promotion
of the cause of goodness under a high
impulse that makes life great and often very
effective. He died January 1, 1880, aged
sixty-five years.
The mother of our subject belonged to a
fine old Scotch family, the McKinneys of
North Carolina. She was a deeply pious woman
and reflected the power and beauty of a
Christian life in relation to her family, the
church and the community. These parents

had twelve children, all of whom lived to
mature years, and ten are living at the present
writing.
Our subject was educated in the common
schools and studied medicine under the tutelage
of Dr. E. F. Ash, of Wadesborough,
North Carolina, and attended a course of
medical lectures in the Baltimore Medical
College during the winter of 1867-'68. He
then returned to North Carolina and began
the practice of medicine in a country town,
remaining there until the summer of 1870,
when he came to Washington county, Texas,
and practiced there until May 1, 1875, then
located near Circleville, in Williamson county,
and practiced there until the town of Taylor
started, and ever since that time has been
located there.
His practice continued until 1880, when he
entered into the real-estate business, continuing
until 1890, when he went into the banking
business. He was elected to his present
position in 1891. The other officers of the
bank are: John R. Hoxie, President; J. P.
Sturgis, Vice President; -Dr. John Threadgill,
Second Vice President; C. H. Welch, Cashier;
F. L. Welch, Assistant Cashier. This
bank has a capital paid in of $150,000, with
a surplus of $25,000, and it does a general
banking business.
Our subject owns much real estate in Taylor,
Williamson and in other counties in the
State. He was the first physician that practiced
in the town, and qwned the first drug
store, which is now conducted by his brother,
J. G. Threadgill. From August, 1877, to
Angust, 1879, he conducted this store. He
was also the first Notary in the town and
erected the third dwelling, and since that
time to the present has been very active in.
all of the enterprises for public improvement.
Either as Mayor or as Alderman he has been

MISTORY GP TEXAS.

Lewis Publishing Company, publisher. History of Texas, together with a biographical history of Milam, Williamson, Bastrop, Travis, Lee and Burleson counties : containing a concise history of the state, with portraits and biographies of prominent citizens of the above named counties, and personal histories of many of the early settlers and leading families. Chicago. The Portal to Texas History. http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29785/. Accessed January 27, 2015.