?5 jA HISTORY OP TEXAS.
the hardships and privations of pioneer life.
Mr. talker continued farming in this county
until 1849, and in that year went overland
to California, where he followed freighting
and mining for two years, returning to Bastrop
county in July, 1853. Previous to
going to that State he had purchased 250
acres of land of a Mr. Chambers, which his
brother Martin had partially improved while
he was absent. After returning to this
county he began farming on this place, where
he died December 25, 1888.
Mrs. Sarah J. Walker is the daughter of
James and Mary A. (Aplin) Stevenson,
natives of Kentucky. The father was a son
of John Stevenson, who moved to Missouri,
where he afterward died. He was a Methodist
minister. James Stevenson came to
Bastrop county, Texas, in 1852, where he
followed agricultural pursuits three years,'
and in 1885 purchased land and located in
Hays county. His death occurred in that
county in 1865. Mr. and Mrs. Stevenson
were the parents of eleven children, namely:
Celia A., who married R. Williams; Sarah
J., now Mrs. Walker,; John Y., a resident
of Kyle; Joe, of West Texas; Constant D.,
widow of L. Collier; Azariah B., engaged in
the Land Office at San Antonio; William L.,
of Kyle; Taylor, a rancher at Fort Stockton;
Margaret, wife of Thomas Brudlove, of Dripping
Springs, Texas, and Mary, wife of B.
Davis. Mrs. Stevenson died in November,
1892, at the age of eighty-two years. Mr.
and Mrs. Walker were married in 1854, and
reared a family of nine children, as follows:
Annie B., widow of E. Watson and a resident
of Burleson county; Walter, deceased at the
age of twenty-three years; Eddie, a farmer
of Caldwell county; Wellmam, engaged in the
same occupation in Bastrop county; and
Charlie, William, John, Robert E., and
Viola, at home. Mrs. Walker is a member
of the Methodist Church, and her husband
was a member of the Presbyterian Church.
of Elgin, Bastrop county, was born in
Georgia, April 25, 1829, a son of
James L. and Nancy (Floyd) Davis,
natives also of that State. The father was
a farmer and minister, and, in connection
with Parson Trian, organized the first Baptist
Church in Texas. He subsequently
moved to Limestone county, and his death
occurred while on a visit to his daughter,
Mrs. Clamp, in Georgetown, March 8, 1879.
His wife died in January, 1878. The parents
were married July 29, 1823, and lived together
fifty-four years, six months and fifteen
days. They had eight children-Richard W.,
the eldest in order of birth; Martha, wife of
J. E. Sherrod; Gallant R., our subject;
Asena, wife of Mr. Clamp, of Georgetown;
Mary, now Mrs. William Stanley; Sarah J.,
wife of Giles G. Nantz; Emma E., now Mrs.
James Demovel, and Keziah H., wife of
Gallant R. Davis, the subject of this
notice, came with his parents to Texas in
the fall of 1838, at the age of nine years,
locating on New Year's creek. They spent
the following three years in Rhodaville, Fayette
county, lived near the town of Travis,
Austin county, for a time; purchased and
lived on a farm six years in Washington
county; spent the next ten years in Austin
county; two years in Milam county; during
the years of 1851-'52 was at Round Rock,
Williamson county, and then came to Bastrop
county. During all these moves Mr.
Davis was accompanied by his father. The
MIARTORY P BXS
Lewis Publishing Company, publisher. History of Texas, together with a biographical history of Milam, Williamson, Bastrop, Travis, Lee and Burleson counties : containing a concise history of the state, with portraits and biographies of prominent citizens of the above named counties, and personal histories of many of the early settlers and leading families. Chicago. The Portal to Texas History. http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29785/. Accessed May 5, 2016.