History of Texas, together with a biographical history of Milam, Williamson, Bastrop, Travis, Lee and Burleson counties : containing a concise history of the state, with portraits and biographies of prominent citizens of the above named counties, and personal histories of many of the early settlers and leading families

'r9Q HISTORY OF TEXAS.

duke's raid to Cape Girardean. He now
owns one of the finest farms in Williamson
county, consisting of 200 acres, 100 acres-of
which is cultivated. He also has 200 acres
of pasture land in Burnet county. In his
political relations, Mr. Faubion is a Democrat;
socially, is a Master Mason, has served
as Worshipful Master of his lodge several
times, and is now Senior Deacon; and in his
religious views, is a member and Steward of
the Methodist Episcopal Church. He has
served as Sunday-school Superintendent
many years.
Mr. Faubion was married in Williamson
county, in 1858, to Cilinda Babcock, who
was born in Illinois, but came with her parents
to Williamson county, Texas, at an early
age. Mr. and Mrs. Faubion have three
children: Charles, a clerk in the Assessor's
office at Georgetown; John, telegraph operator
at Buda, Texas; and James, engaged in
the same occupation at Fairland, this State.
The wife and mother died in 1881. At
Liberty Hill, Texas, in 1885, the father married
Mary Potts, a native of Arkansas, who
also came to this State when a child. They
have five children: Eulah, Bessie, Walter,
Lilburne and Arthur.
q EORGE T. JACKSON, a member of
the Legislature, a prosperous farmer
and worthy citizen of Burleson county,
Texas, was born in Scott county, Mississippi,
October 1, 1851. He is a son of W.
B. and Virginia C. (Keahey) Jackson, natives
of North Carolina and Mississippi, respectively.
who moved from the latter State
to Texas in 1852, and have been for many
years prominent and of respected residents
Burleson county. After forty-five years of

married life, they are in the full enjoyment
of health and happiness, with their children
grown up and comfortably situated around
them. This worthy couple landed in Texas
in the January following the birth of the subject
of this sketch, where he has ever since
resided, having been reared to farm life and
stock-raising. He received a good education
for the times in the common schools of his
vicinity, after which he taught two terms.
He lived under the paternal roof until he was
thirty-three years of age, when he was married.
Preparatory to this event, he bought
143 acres of raw land, on which he built a
house, and after marriage began to clear and
improve it. He now has eighty acres fenced,
fifty of which are well cultivated to cotton
and corn, besides which he raises sufficient
pork to supply his home with lard and meat.
His marriage occurred December 23,1883,
to Miss Thomas L. Lovelace, an estimable
lady, born in Alabama, April 4, 1861. Her
parents, William R. and Martha Lovelace,
were natives of Georgia, who moved to Texas
in 1867, and first settled at Jones' Prairie, in
Milam county, whence they subsequently
removed to Burleson county. Here the devoted
mother died in J 876, and the father is
now residing in Brown county. Mr. and
Mrs. Jackson have had five children, three of
whom died young. Those surviving are:
William R., born June 29, 1885, who was a
twin, the other one having died; and Ruby
T., born May 25, 1888.
Politically, Mr. Jackson follows in the
footsteps of his father, being a strong advocate
of Democracy. He was nominated to his
first office in 1892, and elected a member of
the Legislature to represent his district, his
opponent having been a third-party man.
Those who know Mr. Jackson and appreciate
his sterling qualities of character, may rest

791

HIS TRY OFTEXAS

Lewis Publishing Company, publisher. History of Texas, together with a biographical history of Milam, Williamson, Bastrop, Travis, Lee and Burleson counties : containing a concise history of the state, with portraits and biographies of prominent citizens of the above named counties, and personal histories of many of the early settlers and leading families. Chicago. The Portal to Texas History. http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29785/. Accessed March 4, 2015.