Texas Street, Richardson, Texas

Description:

Street block of four commercial buildings, all have front awnings and wooden walkways/sidewalks. The 2 buildings on the right are false front. The left most building has the gable end facing the unpaved street.
Left to right: pony, possibly tethered to an awning support pole; three men in front of the left-most door; three men standing outside the next business; two children at the edge of the walk; one man standing under the awning of the Drug Store; one man standing in front of the right-most door.
This printing is a copy of a photograph that at some time earlier had been edited with the addition of ink/pencil lines to darken the architectural outlines of the buildings.

Creator(s): Unknown
Location(s): United States - Texas - Dallas County - Richardson
Creation Date: 1880 - 1905  
Partner(s):
Richardson Public Library
Collection(s):
Texas History Collection
Usage:
Total Uses: 1,175
Past 30 days: 62
Yesterday: 2
Creator:
Unknown
Date(s):
  • Creation: 1880 - 1905
  • Digitized: June 17, 2003
Coverage:
Place
United States - Texas - Dallas County - Richardson
Era
New South, Populism, Progressivism, and the Great Depression, 1877-1939
From 1880 to 1905
Description:

Street block of four commercial buildings, all have front awnings and wooden walkways/sidewalks. The 2 buildings on the right are false front. The left most building has the gable end facing the unpaved street.
Left to right: pony, possibly tethered to an awning support pole; three men in front of the left-most door; three men standing outside the next business; two children at the edge of the walk; one man standing under the awning of the Drug Store; one man standing in front of the right-most door.
This printing is a copy of a photograph that at some time earlier had been edited with the addition of ink/pencil lines to darken the architectural outlines of the buildings.

Note:

Written on back:
About 1890 - Central St. (now Texas St.)
A. R. White's general store, Post Office & Allen Drug Store.
Photo display caption: TEXAS STREET The main street of the new town of Richardson faced the railroad at what is now Texas Street and East Main.
These have been referred to as the three original businesses in Richardson.

Language(s):
Subject(s):
Partner:
Richardson Public Library
Collection:
Texas History Collection
Identifier:
  • LOCAL-CONT-NO: RPLv004
  • LOCAL-CONT-NO: Folder V 4
  • ARK: ark:/67531/metapth3068
Resource Type: Photograph
Format: Image
Rights:
Access: Public